Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some immediate help

Options
soonerburrage
soonerburrage Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so as I stated earlier I am cooking a whole chicken on the BGE.

I get the temperature set to 400 degrees then put on plate setter grill and chicken.

Now it won't get over 250 as the temp is falling!

What have I done wrong and what can I do to increase the heat.

All vents are wide open!

Comments

• Willus
    Willus Posts: 14
    Options
    I am new to owning a BGE and I had a similar problem. I then learned that I not only have to have the vents open, but I also need to clean the holes on the grate that the charcoal sits on each time I cook.

Otherwise, air cannot get through.

I hope this helps.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    You should have warmed up the platesetter with the egg.It'll warm back up,don't worry ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You need to get your temps stable with everything but the food in.

Don't get your temp where you want it and then add the platesetter. This will both add cold mass and restrict air flow.

Open the vents until it gets where you want it.
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    Patience!

You just dumped 15 lbs of cold mass into the egg. How long did you let the temperature stabilize at 400 degrees? Was that the initial reading from the flame of your fire starter, or did you wait until the thermal mass of the egg got up to temperature?

One way to find out is to put your hand on the dome. Is it hot? If not, you didn't preheat long enough. I also like to preheat my plate setter, so the only cold mass at the end is the chicken.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    If you put the plate setter in after you got the egg to 400, in addition to the chicken, you have put a lot of substance in the egg that is much less than 400 which may be dropping the temp on the gauge. Also, it is possible that you don't have enough lump in the egg, for that kind of cook in my large, I would fill the firebox at least half full maybe more. And in the future you probably want to put the plate setter in at the start up of the egg. It is also possible the temp gauge is actually toughing your chicken, or even inside it throwing off the temp. Also if you have any liquid in the egg, the whole steam thing does weird things to true temp in the egg. Hope this helps.
  • soonerburrage
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

I'll try to stop freaking out and wait for the temp to rise.
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    Good point! If the point of the dome thermometer is touching the chicken, that would cause a temperature drop for sure. More of a problem with big turkeys, but not knowing the setup ...
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    hey Doug, seen that commercial where the guy is explaining to his wife on Christmas morning how the toaster he gave her has a setting for light AND dark, kinda reminds me of the gift I gave my wife, for which I blame you:

IMG_2729.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Don't worry Marc,I'll take the heat for ya,I'm kinda used to it anyway :whistle: :laugh: Just play a little "Dueling Banjo's" to get back on her good side :woohoo: It worked for Steve :lol: :silly:
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    schmeggsactly, that song does have a certain impact on the ladies
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sparky,

Just so ya know, I've been a bluegrass fan all my life. I actually saw the band that did that tune (Eric Wiseburg and Deliverence I think). Seen Bill Munroe, Flatt and Scruggs, Doc Watson, Seldome Scene, Country Gentlemen, The Dillards among many others. I'm a 6' 4" redneck trapped in a tiny Scottish body. The Duelling Banjos just didn't do it for the wife. Andrea Bocconcini or whoever it was did.

Steve :evil:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• "Sparky"
    Options
    Sorry Steve,Marc eggsplained that we got different CD's :lol:Apparently yours works better then the one I got :lol: :woohoo: ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sparky,

Like a charm bud, like a charm. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON