Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Playoffs!!! What You Cooking?

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well the nfl starts the playoffs today.. and i know it is sad to see football season comming to an end. but there is still time to cook something really good to eat.

i know i have been mia alot lately. and will be today mostly also.. but i still wanted to shaer a recepie that i have done several times with alot of success..

Chili, Cornbread, Pie

When I got home last night there was nothing in the fridge but some suspect hot dogs and wilted carrots.... and after searching through the kitchen for a while, things weren't looking too promising for dinner.Opening the freezer, there it was ..... a quart of chili made a couple months back... and looking through the cupboards, there was fixins for cornbread. I like cornbread with chili and having remembered seeing a recipe for combining the two, I thought I'd wing it.

1/2 chopped onion
~ 1 14 oz. can creamed corn
about 1/2 cup of milk
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
dollop of mayo (no eggs and couldn't think what else to use)
about 1.5 cups of yellow cornmeal
3 tsp baking powder

1 Fill the bottom of a 12" cast iron skillet with about a quart of chili.
2 Mix well. Try to keep the mixture from getting too thick or too thin..... it should just pour out of the bowl.
3 Evenly pour over the chili and bake until brown on top.
4 Have a moment of silence for the greens, crack a PBR and eat.

Recipe Source
Author: WooDoggies

Source: BGE Forum on 2004/06/17

i have made some slight modifications.. for one when i get done adding the chili to the do.. i have been adding a pound of browned ground beef.. and some grated cheese. then after adding the cornbread. i have been putting some cubed cheese into the cornbread mixture...

DSCN1121.jpg

DSCN1122.jpg

DSCN1076.jpg
i know several eggers have tried this i brought it to a north georgia egger gathering at vadiallia1's house..

anyway i hope everyone had a safe new year.. with no dui's.. we stayed at home and i watched that guy jump his motercycle on espn.. **** clark looked bad but i am glad i got to bring in another new year with him ;)

and yes i am making cornbread chili pie again tonight.. thanks woo ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    That looks good Terry...Don't even have a clue what I will cook today.
    Larry
  • I ain't cooken noth'en. Saving myself for next week.

Possible menu:
    Palachenka's (SP) for breakfast
    Pierogies and Kielbasa before the game.

Sammiches during and after the game.

Hoagy Roll
    Breakfast Steak
    Grilled onion
    French Fries
    Sweet and Sour Coleslaw.
    IC Regular
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    This morning my wife declared leftover day. So its a prime beef sammie for lunch. Then I go to watch the lady vols beat rutgers at home then some leftover pasta and veal. Maybe the Egg will see some action tomorrow.
  • Looks good from TN, leave me some!
  • BENTE
    damn joe you might need to start today :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I love warm cornbread and also a sweet corn cake called Johnnycake. In fact I should make some and post a pic.
    Your creative additions to the corn bread seem to make it a one pot dinner. :lol: Have fun making it!

For lunch having leftover burgundy pepper sirloin roast sliced thin cold and served with chips, dip, cheese and sliced carrots and celery. Christmas cookies and tea for dessert, of course. Libations later on, bar opens at 5. ;)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I don't remember getting any of that at Kim's. Now I know why I didn't give you any Carnivore BBQ Sauce that day!! :whistle:
  • Left over day here - Blackeyed peas and cabbage.

Thinking about stuffing some chicken wings tomorrow.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    The end of the football season was a mercy killing for the Chiefs.
    **** Clark was brutal to watch, his speech was just horrible.
  • BENTE
    gee thanks for trying my offering :angry:

ha ha :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    if you want to try something diffrent then try deboning some thighs and stuffing them with celery and blue cheese... i boiled the celery to soften them up but they were very good i dipped them in franks wing sauce and had a wing dinner all in one

DSCN0245.jpg

i need to try them again i will need to boil the celery a little longer to get it to soften up more than my original try ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    poor cheifs... sorry for you...

looks like ya'll may have herm next year also :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yea i have seen a couple things about johnny cake most recently is that alton brown "feastingf on waves".. they came across several diffrent ones.. they all looked good but i have never had one so i would not be able to tell you if it was any good... let me know what you come up with ;)

i may do hodags for superbowl ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    hurry back :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    prime beef sammies sound great!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• The guys are having a wing cook off, and I've attempted to stuff my first fattie. Will post pix if it doesn't end up a flattie. Chocolate Rum Pecan Pie for dessert.
  • BENTE
    chocolate rum pecan pie???? where do you find the recepie for that? sounds great!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Started it off as a recipe for Chocolate bourbon pecan pie, decided to mess with the recipe today and use Almond extract and rum to change the flavor of the pie. Was great will do that one again.