Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Stuffed Grape Leaves

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know if you could cook these on the Egg, never though about it. But, I will tell you these are some of the tastiest things to ever pass your lips! Each New Years day, I make this wonderful dish for the family. Since getting the new HD camera, everything gets taped around here, or so it seems. I set the camera up and let it roll as I made stuffed grape leaves this year. Feel free to watch the edited video and give these a try. I guarantee you will enjoy the treat!
Happy New Year!

Uncle Phil

http://www.vimeo.com/2704888

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hey Phil, I was looking through your videos earlier tonight, and they were really enjoyable. I grew up in Tampa, and Indian Rocks was part of my old stomping grounds. You brought back some great memories with the boat parade and the street parade. I was hoping to see some Gasparilla footage. I was usually on one of the invading boats. You've done a great job. Thanks!
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    I have to get over to the invasion one year and video that. It would be neat to get on the boat and film from the Pirate's perspective. Thanks for the kind words on the videos. With real estate being in the toilet, I may have to fall back on my true love of audio and video work to keep the Big Green Egg in fresh lump!

Phil
  • Revolution
    Options
    Thanks for the video. I am going to try that.

-Charlie
  • Poodlemom
    Options
    I really enjoyed the videos - Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Great one! Gotta try it!! 8 - ),,,
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    Love your videos. :) Those look good.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    And here I thought I was the only one on the forum that ate home made grape leaves. My wife Diana makes them a couple times a year using ground lamb. A special treat indeed. (we have some in the frig right now)
    Real nice work with the video, your very talented! :cheer:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Excellent video Phil! I love domaldes and this puts a little different twist on them with the tomatoes. Will have to put this on my ever growing list of recipes I want to make. Thanks for sharing!
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Those do look great but I've never had them. Do you eat the grape leaf like you would if it were a cabbage roll? Just slice and eat? Sorry for such a basic question but I just don't know. We used to have chicken cooked in banana leaves and you didn't eat that because they are so course and tough (and probably not very tasty).

Thanks,

Bruce
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Hi Bruce:
    Yep, you eat the whole thing. The flavors just burst in your mouth. The grape leaf has a bit of a tangy taste to it giving a hint of wild taste, but not too strong. These are even great cold. Ideal as an appetizer too. Thanks for taking time to watch the film

Uncle Phil
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Thanks Uncle Phil,

Great video and I will do my best to check the store for grape leaves after work tonight. Much appreciated!

Bruce