Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties & Bloody's

Options
reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We finally get to taste the fruits of yesterday's labor. Can't believe how good they are and ez. They will definitely be on my list of favorites. I can't believe how well they go with a Bloody Mary. :)

Looks like I'm off to a great start with my New Year's resolution of eating healthy and drinking less.:(

Does anyone have a secret to keeping the fatties more round. Mine really flattened out after they were cooked.

DSC00097001.jpg

DSC00098002.jpg

DSC00100004-2.jpg

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    I do not post too often, so I do not know what you did initially... I usually roll mine in Saran Wrap, tie the ends and form until they are round.
    If you did the same thing, maybe you should roll before the bloody Mary's ;) good luck and Happy new Year. I gotta go and watch Clemson play.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Anne,
    I made fatties one time and only put cheese in it. When I cut it a whole bunch of liquid from the cheese ran out of it. What type of cheese do you use? Yours look really good.

Brian
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I think that they just squat down a bit while cooking. I know mine do anyway. Got one on right now but this one was a few weeks back. I can't wait for todays to come off I am getting hungry looking at yours!
    120608014.jpg
  • reelgem
    Options
    Reduced fat Mexican and rolled in DP Jamaican Firewalk.

DSC00078.jpg
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    "My fatties are flat"-wah,wah! I feel so sorry for you.
    What's next, my Bloody Mary is too tasty? :cheer:
    Looks like fun.

Walt
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Anne, :unsure:
    No tabasco and no celery??? :( Oh, maybe your mix is hot or you just don't care for heat. It all looks good but yer right,I wouldn't use your fatty slices for wheels. :whistle::whistle:

Good theing is shape does not effect taste.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Darn,
    I just read through all the replies, they are getting kind of tough on you and your bloody mary's.

That's O.K. Anne, I root ya on, have another and soon those fatties will start to look "Round" :woohoo:

Me Best,
    Best Blood Mary that is. :silly:

Bordello
  • reelgem
    Options
    Bordello, you're starting to sound like my husband! :laugh:
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Can't help you w/ your Fattie problem, but I can tell you how to improve your Bloody Marys. My father in law was a master and imparted to me his knowledge of mixology. Make your own base, don't waste your money on mixes. Use regular canned tomato juice (I prefer Campbell's) mixed 50:50 w/ V8 juice. Reasoning: Tomato juice alone too thick, V8 too thin, 50:50 just right. Add however much vodka you care for, just a dash of Worcestshire Sauce for flavor (easy does it, if your drink turns brown you have used way too much), then Tabasco Sauce to your liking. For me (about an 6 oz drink), I like exactly 13 drops. S&P and finally a squeeze of lime. Stir and drink up. Alla salute!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Flatties.....Heheeee. Try the plastic wrap trick. Get it all snug, then tie a knot in one end and twist the other. Refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight. Also if the sausage is not "sticky" mist it with water. This will help seal it too. During that resting time the water will be absorbed by the pork.

307b2f6e.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • reelgem
    Options
    Thanks for that recipe, I'll have to try it. I usually make my own mix too but was just to lazy today. Overegged yesterday.....if that's possible.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't let it rest. Will try that next time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Ouch, Damn you sure are a good wife.............ya know how to hurt a guy. :S :silly: :laugh:
    Now, I recognize that you only said that because I triggered it. So, unlike "most" husbands I give you my most humble apology. :huh:

I can only hope the very nice ladies of this board are doing O.K. trying to understand that besides having all these married guys & gals running around there is one kook out here. Yep, that would be me. LOL ;)

Thank you Mrs.Anne,
    I will try not to sound like the enemy,
    Bordello
    w/no sense of humor :whistle:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Anne,,,,did you try the Bloody Mary's I brought to Atlanta? Great recipe but need to be made in advance.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Only teasing Bordello.
  • reelgem
    Options
    No, I didn't get to try them. :( I'm sure they were good. Can I get the recipe??
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Good thing you went with the low fat cheese. It would be a shame to have something fattening in a fatty.
  • Poodlemom
    Options
    We've done fatties before, but never stuffed them. This is a must do for the weekend! Several Eggers in our area are getting together to cook tomorrow, thing I try a stuffed fattie!!