Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Witchy Red alternative?

Options
emmagee
emmagee Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After joining and pouring over the forum the past couple of days I kept hearing about a great rub called Witchy Red, I figured I had to try some. I contacted Ken only to discover he is no longer making any rubs.

Since he has been out of the rub business for several months I thought someone may have discovered a similar product. Any ideas?

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Have you tried any of the dizzy pig products yet?
    123108005.jpg
    Good stuff
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Ken Stone (Blue Smoke) made some fine products and I for one was particularly fond of his Witchy Red. It was a delicious rub with a unique ingredient being a black sesame seed. Witchy Red made any kind of pork dish stand up and scream! I too was sad when Ken folded his tent nearly one year ago - not recently. While I love the Dizzy Pig rubs and wholeheartedly also recommend them, Witchy Red met an untimely demise IMO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • emmagee
    Options
    Thanks, John.

I haven't tried any yet, but I ordered some cow lick and shakin' the tree last night. I'm sure I'll like it, I always used a pretty generic rub I've been making for year and am looking forward to trying some new things. I was really wanting to try the Witchy Red or similar (identical?) product as well.
  • emmagee
    Options
    Thanks, John.

I haven't tried any yet, but I ordered some cow lick and shakin' the tree last night. I'm sure I'll like it, I always used a pretty generic rub I've been making for year and am looking forward to trying some new things. I was really wanting to try the Witchy Red or similar (identical?) product as well.
  • JPF
    Options
    Never got to try any of his stuff, wonder if the recipe will ever be released?
  • JPF
    Options
    I never had anything but store bought then tried my own blend for a little while too. I think you will be very pleased with the dp stuff.
  • RRP
    Options
    excuse me? the recipe ever be released? :laugh: That rub recipe concoction is a secret of Ken's that I'm sure has a definite monetary value. I bet he might sell it, but give it away?...I doubt it.
  • JPF
    Options
    I guess we can just hope for it to be commercially produced again :S
  • RRP
    Options
    yeah, I guess so...you want to contact Ken and ask him his price?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I liked Witchy Red too, didn't realize he had packed it in.
    I still have a jar of Moon Shadows that I'm digging on chicken, wonder if I have any others tucked away in that cabinet...?
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Below is the formulation for BlueSmoke’s Witchy Red. All values are in ounces (weight). You will notice that some of the ingredients are unusual, and only available from a spice merchant such as Penzey’s or Rocky Mountain Spice. One of the unique elements of Witchy Red is its ability to change the color of the food while enhancing its taste. I post the formulation here in hopes that those who sincerely want Witchy Red will be able to create it. I ask only that if you make a batch, you credit me with the formulation.

BlueSmoke

Beet Powder 5.50
    Black Pepper 5.50
    Cayenne 1.50
    Charnuska 5.00
    Chile, Chimayo 1.50
    Citric Acid 5.50
    Ginger Powder 2.00
    Honey Powder 5.50
    Lemon Peel 2.00
    Paprika 5.00
    Salt 11.00
    Sesame Seed, Black 5.50
    Sugar, Turbinado 3.50
    Tomato Powder 6.50
    Wasabi Powder 1.00
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    amazing...
    very generous of you.

thank you
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Wow.

I hope you and yours is doing fine. Glad I got to meet you a couple years ago. WR is one fine rub. Now I have some things to look for next time I hit Penzey's!

H
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Wow, I've never tried it, but this is very cool of you. I'll start assembling some ingredients.

Ed
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you!
    Thank You!!
    THANK YOU!!!

I love that rub, Ken!
  • RRP
    Options
    Ken, Again I thank you for sharing. When my Witchy Red supply started to dwindle I first cut out using it on ribs since that used a bunch more, then I quit using it on chicken pieces, and then one of my very favorites was on pork patties and it was the next to go. So finally I sparingly used it on ABT's such as these raw ones. And even captured any that fell through on to wax paper so none was wasted!
    IMG_1286.jpg

You can bet money that I'm ordering ingredients from Penzey's this morning!
  • emmagee
    Options
    Ken was kind enough to send me the recipe when I asked him about it, I did not report that here as I did not know if he would have wanted that known. I'm glad to see he has shared it with the unwashed masses we we can make it up on our own.

Many thanks to Ken for his kindness and generosity.
  • emmagee
    Options
    Ken was kind enough to send me the recipe when I asked him about it, I did not report that here as I did not know if he would have wanted that known. I'm glad to see he has shared it with the unwashed masses we we can make it up on our own.

Many thanks to Ken for his kindness and generosity.