Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Owner (gasket question)

Options
DavidL
DavidL Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, and Happy New Year! My wife gave me a large BGE for Xmas. :cheer: I've wanted one for a quite a while. I've cooked 4 times on it so far (hamburgers, steaks, and chicken) and still on a big learning curve. Glad to have such a resource here with the forum. Have only been able to do direct cooking since the local dealer is currently out of plate setters. :( Been having a blast with it so far, though.

Tonight I'm having some family over and I'll be cooking some teriyaki sirloins, shrimp ABTs, and some grilled pinapple, onion, tomatoe, & bell pepper. Been prepping the food and the BGE. However, when cleaning the grid, I noticed that the lid gasket on one side was shrunk, burnt, and has pulled away (inward) from the lid, just after 4 cookouts. What the heck? :S Local dealer assembled and delivered it on Xmas eve and I assume in their haste they didn't get the gasket in place good (I've had to tighten most of the bolts, too). I wouldn't think it would already need to be replaced after just using it 4 times. Of course they're closed today so I can't get more gasket material. Any ideas on a quick fix solution?

The part that came loose, which I assume cooked in my fire last night, is pretty brittle and will certainly tear if I try to put it back in place. Besides, it has shrunk to the point where I don't think it will go back in place. I tried putting it back on but the adhesive is no longer tacky and I felt like it would tear in two. I assume that I can still cook on it tonight, but that heat and smoke will escape out that side. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks. Looking forward to learning from all of you and making some new friends. :cheer: As soon as i figure out how to post pics I'll put some up. Sorry for the long initial post.

David
Abilene, TX

bge001mf3.jpg
Loose/burnt gasket after 3-4 cookouts

Comments

• davewolfs
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I believe BGE had a run of gaskets that have an adhesive backing that is considered defective. I'd ask your dealer for a replacement gasket and email BGE customer support asking for a Nomex replacement.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Go back to your dealer and get a free replacement gasket,apply that with 3M super 77 spray adhesive.If the dealer wants to sell you a gasket that's BS.You do not have to have a nomex gasket as stated in the previous post.I ran my first Large with the original felt gasket for over seven years without a problem
  • DavidL
    DavidL Posts: 41
    Options
    Went back to the dealer today and they gave me a replacement gasket. They said that they've seen that happen a few times before. They said it only happens on new models, but that once the gasket is replaced it doesn't typically happen again. Go figure.

I'll be sure to get some 3M Super 77 adhesive as suggested. Thanks for the tip.

David