Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Extender Question

Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've just bought a grill extender for my large BGE. Questions: - [p]* Does anyone have any hints or tips for "double-decker" cooking one of these?[p]* My immediate thought is that meat on the extender will cook quicker than meat on the lower grate. Is this the case?[p]* If mounted on the regular grid, on top of a "legs up" plate setter, does that make it too high in the dome?[p]Best wishes to all.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Fairalbion,
    I would have to disagree, I think that the meat on the top will cook slower as the food on the bottom will be acting as a heat sheild for the first while that is. The other thing you should watch for is that your lid thermometer does not touch the food ,this will give you a false reading for the egg temp. As for the plate sitter making the food hit the top,for sure that will depend on what weight & size the meat
    you place on the raised grill.[p]Earl

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Fairalbion,[p]My experience has only been with butts and they cooked evenly at both levels. Just watch the thermometer and not let it touch the meat or you will get bad cooking temp readings. I have not used it in combo with a plate setter,

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Fairalbion,[p]I have done quite a few "double decker" cooks with great success. The pictured cook has three 8lb butts on one BGE and two 8lb butts over a 14lb brisket on the other. [p]Both setups are an inverted plate setter, drip pan, main grid and a grid extender. I haven't experienced different cook times between the upper and lower grids, they appear to cook evenly. Without a plate setter or other barrier for indirect cooking I would agree with Earl, the bottom will cook faster. [p]I also haven't had a problem with the meat hitting the top of the dome, at least not yet.[p]
    Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><
    [p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />Sorry, forgot the photo.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Chuck,[p]Wow!!!! Stereo. I like that shot Chuck :~)[p]

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Chuck,
    Still one of my favorite pictures![p]Kip

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    Chuck, great picture - you have inspired me!. Thanks for the information.[p]Best regards.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)