Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody got a good Caesar Salad recipe?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our old standby recipe has lost its appeal. After a couple bites last night I vowed I would seek out a new one that will knock our socks off - so eggers, what do you have?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RRP,
    This one looks very good. Never tried it myself.

[ul][li]Caesar Salad[/ul]
  • JJ,[p]I like this one from top secret recipes. Good luck.[p]"Top Secret Recipes
    version of
    Outback Steakhouse Caesar Salad Dressing
    by Todd Wilbur
    [p] Ask and you shall receive. To answer many requests, I've whipped up this killer clone for the mouth-watering caesar salad dressing from America's favorite steakhouse chain. You can't buy it in the stores, but now you can make it from scratch in mere minutes. Best of all, this dressing keeps for weeks and weeks in the fridge in a covered container (if it's even around that long). [p]1 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup egg substitute
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon anchovy paste
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes, crushed fine[p]1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat ingredients for about 1 minute.
    2. Cover bowl and chill for several hours so that flavors can develop. [p]From: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com [p]Makes approximately 2 cups. "[p]ChuckE

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    RRP,
    This is my wife's method, it's simple but absolutely delicious and requested for all family functions on both sides.[p]Start with 1 package romaine lettuce hearts (3). Chop 2 to 3 inches off the tops and discard. Chop the stalks every 1 1/2" down to an inch from the bottom and toss the bottom. Separate the leaves and wash, discarding anything that is not crisp, crisp, crisp. Dry well in a salad spinner if you have one, but dry well. Place desired amount of leaves into a large bowl and store the rest in zippered storage bags with a paper towel inside, it'll stay crisp for 4 or 5 days.[p]Toss lettuce with Ken's Steakhouse Creamy Ceasar Dressing (best Ceasar dressing by far, 2-8 oz bottles for whole batch), just enough to coat well.[p]2 cups of FRESHLY GRATED parmesan cheese will cover the whole batch of lettuce so adjust amount to number of servings and toss in as well.[p]This is the tricky part, croutons. We have a small local chain of produce markets on the Mass South Shore (Lambert's) that has a house brand of fresh made croutons made from marble rye with a good hint of garlic that is the absolute best for Ceasar salad. If you don't have any similar source avaialable you can make your own (a pain the the tuukus that usually results in something closer to burnt toast) or Chatham Village Garlic and Butter croutons also work well.[p]I've actually seen members off my family strongarming each other for the last soggy crouton in the bottom of the bowl, it's that good.[p]An eggcellent suggestion is to make it a Chicken or Steak Ceasar. Marinate chicken tenderloins, 1" strips of chicken breast or sirloin tip in Ken's Steakhouse regular Ceasar dressing overnight, grill on the Egg and top off your salad. We don't do this for big batches, only ourselves and select guests.[p]Hope this helps,
    C~Q

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RRP,
    There use to be a restaurant across the street from the Augusta National golf club called the Green Jacket.The recipe below is the salad they served,it is very good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Augusta's Favorite Salad[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    RRP,[p]The Outback one is actually very good. Never been to Outback so can't compare, but the dressing is good regardless.[p]Here are a couple others to try. The first one is very good if you like the creamy style. The second one is a variation, but if you like Caesar, you will love this stuff.[p]The story on this......one of New Orleans biggest restrauteur's developed this for his own tastes. It will not be found in any restaurant but is served at his home when he entertains guests. Follow the directions VERY closely....the balance is absolutely perfect as stated.[p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Creamy Caesar Dressing [p]1 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
    3 tablespoon(s) Vinegar, distilled
    2 tablespoon(s) Kraft's grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoon(s) Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
    pinch Basil, dried
    pinch Oregano, dried[p]PREPARATION:
    Combine all and mix with electric mixer for 30 seconds.[p]Let chill and serve.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Garlic-Anchovy Salad Dressing [p]2 ounce(s) Anchovy fillet
    12 cloves Garlic, mashed
    1 Egg
    1/4 medium Onion(s), chopped
    1/2 cup Parmesan, fresh, grated
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Black pepper, coarsely ground
    2 tablespoon(s) Red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup + 2 TBS Olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste[p]PREPARATION:
    The anchovy are packaged in small tins. 2 oz. is about 12 fillets or 2 tablespoons.[p]Place all except oil in food processor.[p]Process and add oil slowly while processor is running.[p]Adjust salt and pepper if needed.

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Ron,[p]I think the basics of Caesar Salad are anything you like. I like to substitute pulled pork for the chicken/ham strips. For dressing, my personal favorite is Red Lobsters. There are a couple of knock offs at Soar which aren't quite as good, but servicable. I usually just go by the local Red Lobster and buy some of theirs.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

[ul][li]SOAR[/ul]
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    RRP,
    I had to consult the wife on this one & get permission to share. She has a recipe for the dressing that is just fantastic[p]4 tbsp olive oil
    3 tbs cider vinegar
    2 tbsp fresh squeeze lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp Kosher Salt[p]Mix all above in small jar with lid. Shake vigorously. Wash romaine and dry using a salad spinner thingy (don't know what it's called). Shake again and spoon onto lettuce and toss until coated. Coat lightly with fresh cracked pepper. Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesanio Reggiano parmesan cheese. Toss again and add second coating of pepper & parm cheese. [p]It's got a tang, tart & spice flavor with a crunch & creamy texture. Best served with Egg Pizza or Egg Calzones[p]Let me know if you try it.[p]Banker John[p]p.s. I'd be happy to cook you calzones and have the wife make Ceasar Salad while you perform your Rutland magic.