Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Extender

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For anyone thinking about another toy ... I mean tool for their Egg, let me recommend a grill extender! Tonight was my first time using it and it is great. I used it for direct heat grilling (moving the chicken another 3 - 4 inches way from the coals). I can see it working for indirect cooking quite easily or just adding more grill space to my medium![p]Just an FYI for anyone looking for another to_ ... uh ... tool, yah, that's it tool! [p]Smokey!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Smokey,[p]Hey, tell Bama Fire about that grill extender, then recommend taht he get another LARGE egg with a grill extender and he may get close to being able to cook for those 200 friends he has planned for this weekend. Two eggs, 4 grill levels, 16 slabs of baby backs or spares? Now THATS a party!![p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    chest2.jpg
    <p />Smokey,[p]Another tool - yes, I'll take one. With any luck and if the UPS man finds me, I hope to have an extender here in the very near future. I am not sure what I need it for, but when it gets here I am sure I can find some sort of use for it. [p]Let me/us know what you find that it can do better than without it. More eggsperiments coming soon I guess.[p]
    Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    sprinter,[p]""he may get close to being able to cook for those 200 friends he has planned for this weekend. Two eggs, 4 grill levels, 16 slabs of baby backs or spares?""[p]Oh man, at approx 13 ribs per rack - thats just 1 rib per person. Better have a lot of adult beverage or potato salad. Hehehe[p]Tim[p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Tim M,
    lots & lots of potato salad and a whole lot more "adult" beverages! :-))))[p]By da time its over, dey won't ker 'bout da ribs dat got awey! Hic!

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    sprinter,
    Be sure not to tell Bama Fire's wife about those plans. The only problem is, it's hard to hide an EGG. She's pretty sharp -- she'd noticed another EGG sitting on the deck at least within a month or two. (Honey, if you reading this, just kidding.)[p]B~F

• Bama Fire
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Ummmmm....beer.[p]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Tim M,[p]Waddya think then, 4 large eggs and 32 slabs? Some people won't eat 2 I'm sure. Gotta make everyone happy. Man, if Bama ever had an opportunity to justify another BGE with some accessories, this is it. Go for it Bama, see what ya can swing outa this deal. See, the glass IS half full!!![p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Bama Fire,
    you are bound and determined to get yer self in hot water! Maybe she's gona have "husband soup" and she's just letting you do all the fixing!!!

• Bama Fire
    Dr. Chicken,
    It's a good thing that I finished that dog house -- now I'll have a place to sleep![p]B~F

• Smokey
    Tim,[p]GO FOR IT! You too Bama Fire! You NEEEED it! That one might be hard to argue, but it is a nice to_ ... TOOL![p]Smokey

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Smokey,
    Is the grill extender the same as the plate setter that TimM has on his site, or is it something different?

• Nu-Guy
    Smokey,
    Is the grill extender the same as the plate setter that TimM has on his site, or is it something different?

• Smokey
    Nu-Guy,[p]The grill extender is different! Many have achieved the same result with fre bricks and an extra grill |__| (i've dine that too)![p]The grill extender attaches to your regular grill, giveing tou two grill levels (the second about 3 - 4 inches above the first). I have a medium and it fits! The big advantage to me is the two surfaces are attached and can be removed together as one unit![p]Smokey

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Nu-Guy,
    I haven't seen one, but from my understanding it is another cooking grid with leg extensions that hook onto your main cooking grid. You could use it for indirect, with a drip pan on the bottom grid, or cook direct farther from the coals. Or cook in 2 layers.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nu-Guy,[p] Check out the "What's New" link in the header of the Forum page. It'll link you to pictures of the grid extender and the plate setter. I used my new grid extender last night. My original plan was to hang it below the main grid with some firebricks on it to do a long brisket cook. Unfortunately, I had the firebox so full of lump that the extender wouldn't fit between the lump and the main grid! So, I put the bricks on the main grid and set the grid extender on top. Worked just fine, though it took me a minute to get the whole setup put back together after it sort of fell apart into my fire![p]MikeO
  • Nu-Guy
    Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the lead. As the song says, every picture tells a story story. Any idea what these things cost?