Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Medium?

Bootleg
Bootleg Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an XL and love my grill. But 'Big'un' is pretty lonely outside by herself so I thought I'd get find her a skinny little man to keep her company. :laugh: But her companion will be a traveler as well. So if you were me which Egg would you purchase a Small or Medium? I would love the medium but it weighs almost 100lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bootlegger

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I have all the sizes, and the medium is a go-to workhorse around here. I would take it over the small if portability was not an issue.

If you'll be traveling much, the small is perfect. It is so easy to pick up and throw in the car. Actually, it's a great cooker at home too and cooks bigger than it really is.

So based on your needs...the small.
    Hee!!
    Happy shoppin.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The small is very portable and our choice for traveling right now.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    I can't speak for the medium but I do have a small. There are some very original ideas for traveling with your egg on this forum. Anything from building a crate and packing towels around it to setting it in the front seat with you and belting it in. The small is really pretty easy to pack but to tell you the truth, it really aint worth the risk for me to travel with mine. Just my opinion, but it seems like every time we go camping something happens. Knowing that, I would be mad at myself if I took and egg and broke it.
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    I have a large and a medium and I agree with Chris. I cook on the medium 70% of the time. But, from what your needs are I would get the small. The medium is too heavy to carry around
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Bootleg,
    I have a Large, Small, & Mini. For tailgating I take the mini. It is good for hamburgers, Cheddar stuffed wraped in bacon knockwursts, and Hotdogs. So I guess it depends on what kind of traveling you are planning to do. I used my small to cook a 10 pound turkey at thanksgiving. I honestly couldn't imagine traveling at this point in time with the small but I guess if I bought an RV and was touring the country I would change my mind :whistle: Heck I might even strap on an XL :evil:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I have a Small and a Medium. The Medium weighs 95 lbs.

Take the guts out -- significantly lighter.

I am 67-y-o, fully handicapped -- neck broken in three places, and 6 levels of my thoracic spine crushed. :ohmy:

That said -- when I need to move the Medium, I disassemble it, carry pieces through the house to the car, and strap it in like a baby [front seat or back]. :unsure:

Of course, the Small is much easier to handle. B)

So -- How often do you intend to move your Egg? How crippled are you?

Given the choice, if I had an XL, I'd get a Medium. If I were to do lots of traveling/camping with an Egg, I'd get a Small.

Enjoy!

~ Broc

:whistle: :cheer: :ermm:
  • I also agree with Natureboy here, because we have only a small and you cannot really do pizza except a 12 inch pie. The fire is efficient, but it is limited except you could port it on trips, which we don't even do. I'd like to do bigger chickens as well. That's also problematical.

If I were traveling, I'd get a mini. Otherwise, the next egg will be bigger. A xl-small combo is popular here (or L-small) but if you want a smallish fire to do a pizza or a small but long roast, the Med is really more useful.

The small is great for steak and chops and cooks for 2 people as it's very efficient. Depends on what you want to do with a smallish fire.
  • Got an XL, Small, and Mini. Have only had the mini about a month. Took the small and mini to a fishing camp a couple weeks ago. The camp is only accessible by boat. Loaded them in the Geaux Tiger boat, trailered for 30 minutes to the landing, launched, and rode for 20 minutes to the camp "down da bayou". Haven't tried to move a medium so I can't comment on it but the small is real easy to move. Bringing them to a friends house later this evening. Have brought the small to my sons house in Houston twice and to a demo cook at my dealer. This evening will be trip number 5 for the small. It may want some frequent traveler miles.

Transporter for Small
    IMG_1517800x600.jpg

Eggin "down da bayou" - turned transporter over and set it on a big rock
    IMG_2836800x600.jpg
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Bootleg,I also agree with Nature Boy.I have four eggs and the medium is(at least for me)my go-to egg.I do take the mini,small,and/or the medium with me on vacation.While the medium is more work to move,it's much more useable once you get it there.I built a carrier for my medium,like Franks below.I move eggs around all the time,and haven't broke one yet :whistle: I don't even empty the charcoal,just pick it up and move it :) Anyway,I think that you'll be happy either way,but it all comes down to how much you plan on cooking,and maybe how often you plan on taking it on the rd.Obviously the small is gonna be easier to move,but if it's only a few moves a year,is it worth it?Here's my medium carrier ;)

009.jpg

Gatlinburg018.jpg
  • Frank, great pics. I'm moving to Lafayette as soon as I can get my act together. (Sell a house) The economy is really bad not buyers. I have a large in Lafayette waiting for me. Have done some cooks and love it. From your pics you guys look like you going to having a seafood or crawfish boil. Any way have a great new year!
  • Good luck with your sale/move. Lafayette is cool - center of cajun country and some great eats.

If you don't mind me asking where are you moving from? We're in the process of deciding which way to geaux with our move but need to sell first. Downsizing is our primary driver for moving with getting a little farther from the coast a secondary driver. If Gustav would have approached our area in a more south to north direction, we would have had 4' in our house of water according to the experts at LSU - but what do they know?
  • For traveling, I'd go with the small. Its light and doesn't take up much space. I take mine camping every time we head out to the woods. I've easily cooked full meals for five people.
  • A small is in my future. It seems like the perfect compliment to a Large. And easy to pack for travel/camping.