Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just received XL as a gift about a month ago

newbie11/2008
newbie11/2008 Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have had a great experience with anything that has taken over an hour to cook; butt, turkey, chicken, brisket, ribs, etc.

Have been underimpressed with some of my shorter cooks, pork chops and hamburgers. Doing steaks tomorrow for New Year's using the basics of Trex's recipe any suggestions or just keep cookin'?

Love reading the forum and looking for suggestions to various issues, You guys are a bunch of freaks. I just poured some of the Kool-Aid into a cold beer and am sipping it now looking forward to joining the freaks in 2009.

Mark

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    First of all,welcome to the cult.....er......club :lol: Now,what is it that you find dissapointing about the shorter cooks?Besides less beer consumed :lol: I haven't done any high temp/short cooks on my XL,but we are here to help ;) I usually do my high temp stuff in the other eggs,since I rarely need the XL's space for this :) Hope we can help ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Welcome aboard!! I will have to agree that shorter cooks are not the "showcase" of the Egg. For high temp searing its better than anything but for hamburgers, ect not much differance than using lump in a Wal Mart throw away BUT you didn't drop the wad of ever deflating jack you did to just cook hamburgers! ;) Come on.. you bought it so you could join our club!! :laugh: Doing an overnight 8 lb pulled pork for New Years party after I get these wild duck breast off. Thats where the Egg shine!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Yea JL,tell him :lol: But an 8 pound butt looks pretty lonely in an XL :( You gotta do at least six of them :lol: :woohoo:

40lbs004.jpg
  • newbie11/2008,

Man, I think the egg shines on short cooks. Less shrinkage on burgers, moister steaks and chops.If you are doing a couple of burgers on the XL you might just have too much cooking area. You are going to need a mini or small. Not a big problem cause you got the XL as a gift. Lucky guy.

Steve :woohoo:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yeah, I think your're right, I kidded with the wife about needing an smaller egg for sides and veggies but the more I look at some of the posts on grillin direct I think your right on. Tomorrow we have some people coming over so I'll be cooking enough steaks to cover about half the space we'll see how that goes. The more I read the more I see a small or medium in my future. Aaaaahhh the Kool Aid tastes better toward the bottom.

Everyone have a great New Year.

Mark
  • Hello Newbie,
    I, too, am a newbie with XLBGE. One thing I have learned is to let the fire get GOOD AND ESTABLISHED before doing the short cook. My wife can taste the smell of smoke a mile away and being sick and undergoing chemo.,I found at least 30 minutes was acceptable for proceeding with a cook, unlike the BGE DVD saying an 8 minute setup. These folks are great.
    Rick
  • cigarstock,

So sorry your wife has to endure that. It is awful. We will pray that it cures.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Somehow just replied under "yarddog" not sure how that happened but thanks again
    \
    Mark
  • Freak show? I guess that works. :)

Welcome aboard. I always wait at least 30 minutes and sometimes longer before the meat goes on. Smell the smoke before you geaux on with the meat. Smells bad hold off.
  • On my XL, I get my CI grill lower to the fire for short cooks..i.e., hamburgers, steaks(seared). I use my hanger I got from Tom and set my CI on that low to the fire. Works for me.