Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Questions

Options
Boss Hogg
Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about making a standing rib roast for New Years Eve dinner. I've never made one before and after clicking around the forum and linking to a bunch of other websites I've found a bunch of conflicting information. Since I'm pretty new at this whole cooking thing, I'm looking for something easy and pretty fool-proof (with my cooking skills that may be a challange :laugh: ).Here are some questions-
1. I'm having 8 people for dinner. How big a roast or how much pre-cooked weight(or do I order it by the number of ribs)?
2.What grill temp? I saw temps ranging from 225 up to 350 for the cook.
3. Sear first or at the end?
4. Can I use something like Raising The Steaks or Cowlick Rub or should I just use salt and pepper?
5.Should I put something on the roast to make the seasoning stick? ie olive oil, or mustard?
Thanks for all your help.
Brian in Wernersville, PA

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The one question that is easy to answer is the first one. Most everyone will agree that 2 people per rib works good, of course you never want to run short so a 5 rib one should be fine.

Although all of the methods you have read about are slightly conflicting it's because, next to a hamburger, prime rib has got to be the easiest thing to cook on an Egg. So, all of the standard methods work, they are all easy and foolproof. You can cook from 225 to 350, you can season or slather about anything you want on them, and you can sear up front, at the end or not at all.

The best advice is to get a cable thermometer and use it to monitor the doneness while cooking. Don't rely on a set length of time per pound formula.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    thanks, thirdeye. i did check out your website and I've got a polder and a Thermopen. i didn't realize they were easy to cook.

Brian
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've said many times that the hardest thing about cooking a prime rib is coughing up the price for one.

On the other end of the sprectrum (method wise) from the method I use is Mad Max's prime rib. It lives on the Naked Whiz's site.

Once you pick one you like, then we can fine tune any of the small details.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Thirdeye is pretty much on target. I've done several and although they don't always cook the same, they're always good. For Xmas she bought a 10.5#, 5 bone prime for five of us - I cut off nearly 4 inches (3 bones) of the 11 inch length for later and was able to serve each of us a very thick slice with one left over in case my daughter's boyfriend was particularly hungry.

In general you can use salt and pepper, maybe some garlic powder and maybe some DP Cowlick. I do mine indirect (inverted platesetter) but on a rack set in a pan so I can put potatoes or onions underneath. 325 does fine and you really don't have to sear at all unless you want a particular effect. Basically you are roasting it just like you would in an oven except that it tastes much better and cooks more evenly.
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    No problem...I'll put it on my wife's credit card :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Good advice on the boyfriend eating a lot. I have the same situation with my daughter's boyfriend. He's huge-all muscle, no fat :S
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Hey Boss,
    I forgot to mention on my post that I did slather on some mustard/worcestershire sauce to anchor the salt, pepper and steak seasoning. May family isn't much on bloody meat so I cooked a little longer than most people, to 235. Just like baby back ribs, you can't taste the mustard. It was very, very good. Can't wait to see your pictures!
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Willy,
    I've done the mustard on pork and will probably do it on the prime rib. BTW, what kind of clays do you shoot?
    Brian
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Just did one Christmas Eve, my first. Cooked at 250 indirect for about 3.75 hours, then seared at the end for 10 minutes. It was fantastic and was proclaimed the be prime rib anyone had ever eaten. Here's what I did:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=564689&catid=1#
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    That looks really good. Sorry I missed your post at Christmas but I wasn't on the Forum much for a few days.