Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel or Ceramic top

Options
convert
convert Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for about four months. I have been using my daisy wheel only. My question is..... Does the ceramic top put the fire out faster then the Daisy wheel. I've been using about a bag(20 lb) of lump about every three weeks. I cook on it every night... Am I burning away my lump after cooking. Thanks, Convert

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Convert,[p]Yes it does. The daisy leaks more air than the ceramic rain cap and it snuffs the fire better.[p]Tim
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Convert,[p]I wouldn't try to put the fire out with the daisey wheel, it leaks. Use the daisey wheel for top vent control. Rain cap is for snuffing and keeping out rain.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Convert,
    Use the ceramic top to put out the fire; use the daisy wheel to regulate the air flow. One thing you might consider, especially depending on where you live is to place the daisy wheel top inside the egg on the grill after you finish cooking. This keeps it out of the weather and the heat will help burn off/keep the wheel freer of grease build up. Not my idea but it's been discussed here a good bit.