Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maybe a brisket

Options
Kona Tim
Kona Tim Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy----thinking of doing a brisket this weekend. I have never tried one and am looking for a good way to go about it----any suggestions?
Kona Tim

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    kona tim,
    You are in for quite a treat. Start off with a good brisket, and try and find one with a fat cap covering one side. The fat cap is important for moist results. Seasoning can be simple as salt and pepper, or you can just use a rub, or slather with mustard and sprinkle on rub, or marinate. Whatever you end up doing there, the important thing is the cook. I do mine indirect over liquid filled drip pan at 225-250 dome, approx 2 or 2.5 hours/pound. I cook fat up, and don't flip, or open humpty at all, unitil polder reads 185. Then I try and twist a fork in it. You'll know when it is done, cuz the fork will slide in and twist easily. Usually finished 185-200. [p]Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    kona tim,[p]That sounds like great idea, and NB's sugestion makes it all sound so easy![p]I picked up a 4.5 pounder at costco today but am leaving town Sunday so that will have to wait for my return! I have done corned beef (indirect) and it is GREAT. I highly recommend it, although its hard to find them over 3.5 pounds![p]Tonight, mustard coated chicken. Tomorrow, beef ribs (big uns)![p]Smokey[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokey,
    It is pretty easy as long as you aint in a rush!
    Ask around your grocery store butchers, they often have packer-trimmed cryovac whole briskets. 8-12 pounds is a great size for a whole chunk-o-chest. The Costco here trim all the fat off.....not good. You should even be able to find good flat cuts with a fat cap. The flat alone usually ranges in the 3-5 pound range. The point end of the brisket is my favorite, which is why I like the whole ones. Plus it is fun laying that big ol piece o meat all the way across your cooking grid!![p]Let us know how those beef ribs come out!!
    Happy weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Smokey,[p] I did a small corned beef brisket last night. Question for you. What temp do you normally cook to? I rinsed the thing well, then coated with freshly cracked black pepper and paprika. Cooked indirect at about 220 ove pecan for about 12 hours overnight. The internal temp got to about 160, then I took it off because I had to go to work (yeah, I know -- where *are* my priorities :-)? ) The texture is pretty interesting. It almost slices like cheese when it's cold! Makes awesome sandwiches, though . . .[p]MikeO
  • Smokey
    Options
    MikeO,[p]I cook it in a very similar way, but I don't rinse it (smoking should kill anything I hope). I cover it with the seasoning included and use a good bit of cajun spices (cyane peper and all)![p]Smoking is almost 3 hours per lb to internal of about 175*.[p]I have covered with foil for the last hour, but not every time. Turns out GOOD![p]Smokey
  • Smokey
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You know now that you mention it, I don't know if the brisket has a fat cap. I'll have to check when I defrost her. If so I guess I can get some fat back from the butcher and place on top when smoking.[p]Smokey