Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT results

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
13902523.jpg
<p />Nice smokey flavor and just right on the heat. These would be best with some beers. Doc says no beers for me, so you all should have one for me.
Beers to ya.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    shiek, OKAY, It's not just for Monday's anymore. Did you notice how spicy the peppers were, as compared to other ways of cooking. I may not have explained myself. The time I cooked ABT'S, the peppers were kinda mild. Don't know if it was the kind I bought or the cream cheese toning it down.
    Anyway looks good.[p]CWM

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    shiek, LOL - you say the Doc says lay off the beer and I bet iffin he knew you were eating those ABT they would be on the avoid list too! Tell you what - give me half and I won't tell him!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    There are several factors that can reduce the heat of the peppers. The more seeds and membrane you leave in the pepper, the hotter it will be. Also, the longer you cook them, the more heat they lose.
    Hope this helps

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    wardster,
    Hopes a bunch. I cut my peppers in half, washed out and cleaned out all seeds. This explains a lot.[p]CWM

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    wardster,
    I'm no expert on peppers, but I've always heard that the seeds DO NOT contain as much capsaicin as people generally think. I did a quick search and found this reference.[p]====================
    Ripped from a NG Post:[p]In "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee, he says that the placental tissue does indeed contain the most capsaicin (page 212). He says that for every 100 units of capsaicin in the placenta, that 6 units are in the flesh and 4 are in the seeds.
    ====================[p]I don't have this book, I just thought it was an interesting post. Capsaicin is some real interesting stuff. I ran across this other post by and M.D explaining why birds don't react to it (did you know that?):[p]====================[p]It's not that they don't taste it, but rather that it doesn't produce the "hot" sensation. Capsaicin, the stuff that makes pepper hot, works in a highly specific manner. <Neurophysiology alert!> It blocks the presynaptic reuptake of substance P in thin unmyelinated pain fibers. That is, the neurotransmitter that's involved in carrying pain signals doesn't get recycled into the neuron that released it, but instead "stays out there" activating the next neuron for many times longer than it otherwise would. Since there's always some small amount of neurotransmitter being put out even if there's no pain, if it's not being reabsorbed after a few seconds the amount out there is enough to trip the next neuron's trigger and the nerve starts yelling "PAIN!!!". That's why it takes a few seconds for the hot to hit when you chomp a habanero.[p]And the reason it doesn't happen to birds is that their substance P receptor is very different from mammals', and capsaicin doesn't block it. Capsaicin has no intrinsic irritating properties. It works on the receptor like a key in a lock, and birds have a completely different shape of lock. The molecular "key" of capsaicin is simply ignored by their receptors. [p]There is a chemical that blocks birds' receptors, and has the effect on them that capsaicin has on us. I can never remember the name of it, but it's the active ingredient in artificial grape flavoring. [p]By the by, the reason we use capsaicin cream for chronic skin pain in medicine is because it blocks reuptake of substance P, eventually leading to its being depleted in the neuron. The pain fiber simply runs out of neurotransmitter, if it can't recycle its supply, and can no longer signal pain.
    ==================[p]Who knew?[p]Mike

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    shiek, time and temps for these tasty looking treats?[p]
  • shiek,
    Your picture has inspired me to to make ABT's the first time I use my new BGE. The only thing I worry about is the following day! I hope I make it to work without any accidents......:)