Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Accidental" Low n Slow Chicken Thighs

Options
David B.
David B. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just had to post the results of this accidental experiment with chicken thighs. I marinated them in olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary and garlic, salt and pepper, and put them in the egg at about 375 on top of slices of lemon. Unfortunately, I quickly realized they would never be done before I had to be to my wine tasting club meeting (hey, life's tough). I closed the vents almost all the way down, and went across the street to my neighbor's. Our meeting lasted about 3 hours. Afterwards, I invited my brother back to try the results. We couldn't believe how juicy they were, and the skin was unbelievably crispy. The egg was at about 200 when I pulled the thighs. We had them with some asparagus I reheated, I would love to try them again, with the Cakebread Chardonay we tried at the tasting club.[p]David B.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    David B.,[p]A couple of questions for you. Were these placed on the egg direct or indirect other than the lemon slices? How long did you let them cook at 375? Did you use any wood for smoke, if so which flavor?[p]Sounds like a great eggsperience and would like more info.[p]Thanks,
    Bob

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    David B.,
    I usually do my chicken thighs low-n-slo. I will put them on for 3 or so hours after marinating overnight. I will put on between 225 or 250. At that temp you can cook for hours, I keep skin side up for basting, flip over and heat the egg up to 300 or so to finish, crisping the skin. They come out so good, we can't remember what year we last had bbq sauce on chicken. The low and slow gets rid of the fat like doing a tough shoulder or brisket, just doesn't take as long. I just tried chicken last weekend (spatchcock chicken) at 350*. I noticed a lot more fat in it than a low-n-slow cook. [p]I don't think you can ever cook it wrong (at least without trying)on the egg, very forgiving. Just comes down to personal tastes.

• David B.
    David B. Posts: 24
    Options
    Bob,[p]About 30 minutes at 350 - 375 (it jumped a little). Direct, other than the lemon slices.
    No wood.[p]David B.