Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing pulled pork

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made an excellent pulled pork. 16 hours of slow and low, used a BBQ sauce I picked up at the Biltmore Estate I visited in Ashivlle NC. Excellent for the pulled pork. There was a lot of pork left over, so I froze a few freezer bags full. Any suggestions on the best way to thaw and serve. Is microwave better then letting the pork just thaw in the refrigrator. Or is popping it in boiling water for a few minutes better?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    the big hound,
    Personally, I find the microwave imparts a funky flavor to meats....though some do not seem to notice. Plopping in boiling water is better, IMO.[p]What is the name of the sauce?[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Nature Boy,
    From their website: "Jazz up your next meal with Biltmore Estate Barbecue Sauce. The tasty blend of tomatoes, honey, and spices is the ideal grilling companion." $5 a pint jar, it looks like. [p]TNW[p]

The Naked Whiz
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    The Naked Whiz,
    I agree with NB on reheating BBQ in the microwave. Use boiling water instead. Also, what is the Biltmore House doing bottling BBQ sauce? Maybe they will build a smoke house so everyone can visit and sample some BBQ and different BBQ sauces before moving on to the winery. Or maybe the Vanderbilts have always had a secret back porch next to the bowling alley that has a BGE on it. LOL[p]Steve

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, I have always used the microwave, but... could you post more details? Do you merely place the bag in boiling water?

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Gordon,[p]This works great if you are using the "Food Saver" type bags.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    IMG_0634.JPG
    <p />Bob, unfortunately, I just use standard old zip lock gallon size freezer bags. Will they still work?[p]We usually do about 10-14 lbs at a time and since there are only the two of us, we freeze for future use - even frozen PP is better than no PP![p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • the big hound,
    If you can, sit the frozen pork into the fridge the night before to thaw. When ready to eat, spred out in smaller casserole dish, add a tablespoon or so of water for moisture, cover with foil and heat in the oven at 300 or so until hot. works pretty good. We finally purchased a foodsaver, next time will freeze and try in boiling water?

• Grumpa
    Gordon,[p]I believe I would stick with the nuke on the regular bags. I do not believe they will hold up to boiling water. I have never tried them and would not want to cause a lose of the valued pork by any means.[p]I have a food saver and the boil or the nuke works quite well. Like our friend Chris has said, I believe the boil somehow works best when possible.

• Grumpa
    Gfw,[p]One more thing. I agree that frozen pork is better than none at all, in fact frozen is very good if done right. [p]Those are some good looking butts in that picture you graced us with :~)[p]
  • Grumpa
    Still Smokin',[p]Next to the BGE itself, that is the best investment you could have made.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Bob,
    I'm going to jump in here since I still am not clear. When I seal the p/p in Food Saver bags that becomes one highly compressed blob of meat. I've always stood there using a fork to once again break it up. Are you saying that boiling an unopened pouch brings it back to life?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grumpa
    RRP,[p]I boil it to thaw and then when opened. I use the fork to sort of break it up a little more. Boiling does loosen it up and makes it very manageable.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    Sounds like the good fellas below have steered you right. The link below says ziplock bags are okay in boiling water. I have not had a problem with the freezer bags. I also sometimes reheat the pulled pork in the oven in foil, and even in a pan on the stovetop with a splash of water or sauce. Stir it around until it's good and hot, and go to town![p]It might just be me, but I can taste a big difference between nuked meats and non-nuked. [p]Beers to you, Gordon.
    Chris

[ul][li]One source[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Grumpa
    RRP,[p]I was sitting here think more about your comments pertaining to the "blob" of meat.[p]One good tip I picked up on with the foodsaver is that if you partially freeze the meat before sucking the air out and sealing it, you will have much more control over the "juice" and "shape" factors of each bag.[p]I have had much better control since learing that little trick. You may want to give it a try.[p]
  • Wow, what great posts on the subject. The Biltmore Estates Barbecue Sauce, to me was too vinegary for ribs, but were wonderful on the pulled pork, and for 5 bucks a bottle, well worth it.[p]Years ago I worked with acompany that designed a gadget called a "rethermolizer", which was designed for the food industry. It took fully cooked food that was flash frozen in plastic pouches, then reheated (rethermolized) in water at about 212 degrees for about 18 minutes. It worked well, That's why I thought it might work with pulled pork too.