Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg - Searing Temperatures ....not happening

Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. I need some help with my new Small Egg. I have cooked steak on it 3 times and each event, I have had trouble getting searing temperatures or a temperature over 350 degrees. What am I doing wrong? Your help will be greatly appreciated!![p]Peggy

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Peggy,
    Normally when people say they can't reach a high temp it is because they do not enough lump in the firebox. The manual says something silly like " a couple handsfull" but it needs to be 1/2 to 3/4 full. You can never have too much, but you can easily have too little.[p]With that said, I can't get mine over 600-650° and have tried steel grates, wire mesh, etc but I can easily get it over 350°. Good luck and fill'er up.[p]Tim

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Peggy,
    Also, make sure nothing is obstructing the airflow through the egg. I assume it has a firebox like a large and that you need to be sure the hole in the firebox lines up with the bottom vent. Make sure no chips of charcoal are blocking any of the air holes in the grate and firebox.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Peggy, I regularly sear between 750 and 800 on my small. As Tim said you need a full load of lump with vent wide open and no restiction on dome. It is one intense raging, massive fire at that temp. Are you sure you're not just rushing it and assume it will get to that level too soon?
    For sake of being sure your fire box holes aren't blocked why not pull out the ring and box and vaccuum before your next try.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Peggy,[p]The others below have given some good recommendations. Also, try blowing into the lower vent with a small fan. I use a small battery-operated fan when getting my Medium or Mini up to searing temps. It works quite well and very quickly, provided you have a healthy supply of lump and your top vent is completely open.[p]Good luck.[p]TRex

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Peggy,[p]Bottom vent wide open. Full of fresh dry lump. Dome lid fully open.[p]Can't go wrong. I do this several times per month. Sometimes it takes a while to get the fire raging. Patience pays.
  • Peggy
    RRP, and everyone else! Good tips thanks so much. I might be rushing things. How long does it take to get a good high temp? I thought I had a fire box full enough, but I'll add more next time. I suppose I should keep the dome lid all the way open right? Thanks![p]
  • RRP
    Peggy, dome lid open? NO, just no Miss Daisy or restriction of any sort. As for time I typically walk away for 45 minutes after lighting it. BTW Dr C asked me to give you a holler if you hadn't ask here today!

• Peggy
    RRP, That's right about Dr. C. I got your email address this morning from Dr. C! Now I have put two and two together. Thanks for your assistance RRP! I think I was rushing things with my fire. Peg

• RRP
    Peggy,
    two last bits of advice...if you haven't already do replace your ceramic grate with either a BGE metal one, a Lodge trivet, or better yet a simple cast iron floor drain available at good hardware stores. You haven't mentioned your method of lighting your fire, but a Weber cube lit and pushed into the center via the bottom vent opening will assure you of a towering inferno of 800° as that creates an up draft with the fire truly in the bowels of the beast. It also tends to burn all your lump though as you also want the lump on top to be burning well for the good sear.

• Peggy
    RRP,Your advise will be followed. I'll let you know how my next cook goes. I'm going to purchase a metal grate and light from the bottom with the weber cube. Thanks sooooo much!!!!! Peggy

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Peggy,
    I had trouble getting up to high temps also,I was used to my large getting hot in a hurry.I got the new metal grate and that helped,but I found on mine that the lower sliding door didn't completely uncover the small lower air hole.I readjusted it but it was still blocking it some so I removed the lower door assembly and trimmed it so that I could get max. air flow.It still takes awhile to hit 800º but it gets there. Good luck Bob