Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting steaks

Options
hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, I tried the method of searing a steak one minute per side, resting it for 20 minutes, then finishing it at a lower temperature fire.[p]My conclusion -- I will add an extra 45 minutes cooking time to every time I have steak. The result was noticeably superior.[p]My wife thought I was nuts until she tasted it. Then she started having opinions about how maybe we let it rest an hour etc.[p]If you haven't tried this and you like a tender steak try it.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    hounddog, ah...another convert to the TRex method as I'm sold on that method too!
    For any of youse Illinoians Happy Count Casmire Polaski Day to youse as school's out in his honor! Toot Toot Toot

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    hounddog,
    Did the same thing just last night, except I did it at 750 for 2 min. and then the 20 min. rest. You're right, there is a noticeable difference. We learn something new all the time, right?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    hounddog,[p]Glad this method gave you good results. I experimented a bit with how long to rest the meat, thinking initially, like your wife, that if 20 minutes of resting makes this steak this much more tender, what would 30 minutes or an hour do? [p]I tried a range of resting times, from 5 to 45 minutes, and concluded that 20 minutes was the ideal resting time. Pretty consistently, I found that if I rested the steak for any time over 20 minutes, juices starting seeping out of the meat. [p]Times when I have been in a crunch I've done 15 instead of 20, and have still been happy with the results, although the 20 minute rest is still optimal.[p]Happy resting![p]TRex
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    TRex,
    I'm going to give it a try tonight with strip steaks. To go over this again, sear 2 minutes per side, rest 20, then 400 until desired temp? Thanks TREX.[p]Kip

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    Kip,
    And do you flip it during the lower temp cook?[p]Thanks.[p]Kip

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Kip,[p]I do a 90 second sear on both sides at 800, rest for 20 minutes, then cook at 400 until desired temp, flipping once. It's usually about 4-5 minutes per side for a 2" thick steak to achieve medium-rare.[p]Good luck![p]TRex