Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Prime Rib

Options
ckcgnfshn
ckcgnfshn Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

Has anyone smoked a bone in Prime Rib Roast. If so, how long and what temp. I think that I am going to pull it at internal 125 degrees. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Kew_el_steve
    Options
    Suggestion #1:
    Do some research on the threads, using the search functions, recipes, cookbooks

Suggestion #2:
    If #1 does not work, take that expensive roast to 190* as fast as possible... :woohoo: :evil: :sick:
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Pulling at 125 is perfect for me. Check out these sites for additional information.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

There have probably been 5 -10 prime rib post per day over the past week or so.

This is the one I cooked this year:

IMG_1049.jpg
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    I cooked a whole 15 lb prime rib on Christmas Eve.

My butcher did the seasoning and "loosend the bones" then tied it all together.

For the cook I used a varity of methods posted here. The coals were burning for an hour before I did anything. I then added cherry wood smoking chips to the flame.

I placed the roast on the Egg at 500F, then set the vent and daisy wheel to where just enough air got through to keep the fire alive. The Egg slowly and steadily went down to 325F. I kept the roast on until it reached 135F deep in the center. It was done in 3 1/2 hours.

It finished two hours before dinner was to be served so I foil wrapped it tight, wrapped in two large kitchen towels, and placed it in a small cooler. The center temp slowly rose to 150F and held at that temp for almost 2 hours! It was a huge crowd pleaser for my 11 guests...not too red and not overdone.

If you are going to wrap your roast and hold it for a while like I did, then you can take it off at 125F if you want it more pink.