Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Careful what you ask for..

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I called one of the local butchers yesterday and ordered a full "large" brisket trimmed to be picked up today. I guess I thought "large" would be around 10# or so and was quit shocked when I picked up a 16# whole brisket!
Guess the plans are changing on my start time :laugh:. I had planned to cook it all together but thinking I might seperate the point from the flat and cook one over the other to speed the process up a bit.
BrisketLabel.jpg

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Should you decide to make your brisket closer to 10 pounds --

Take "x" weight in brisket, and couple it with the same weight of 80/20 chuck -- grind both together, to make "briska-burger."

Best hamburgs you've ever tasted!

~ Broc
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea and I will have to try that sometime. Going to cook the whole thing though I think this time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Something I want to try at some point in time.

Get some pictures up of that in the egg, beginning and end of cook.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I have no problem with separating the nose and flat before cooking but in the last couple of years I have changed my technique.....Because the rear end of many briskets sort of taper down to 1/2" or so, I've stopped following the natural seam between the nose and flat, which would result in a taper on both ends. I just eyeball both muscles and make a straight cut.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Ya got a true packer, I have seen hundreds of those over the years. Nice hunk of chest. Ya a lucky guy and the price is not bad at all.

Enjoy it,
    Bordello
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Steve,
    Please do some photos before and after. I too have not cooked a brisket yet.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    the price is not bad at all
    I'd say that's a great price, over here even supermarket-grade brisket costs $5.99 or $6.99 a pound when they are discounted :evil:
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Alwans? Great price! Did you know to call and order in advance or just do that for convenience? I find with Alwans arch rival, Echo Valley (family at that!!!) when I want some pieces such as tri-tip it's better to order in advance.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ILL--EGGER
    Options
    I always call in advance so that it's all ready to go and I know for sure it's there to pick-up. Alwan's is just easy for me to get too and have had good experience with there customer service and quality product.