Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Time for Ribeyes?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had good success with cooking 1.25" ribeyes for 2 minutes per side at 750, taking them off the fire for 20 minutes, then resuming for 4-5 minutes per side at 400.[p]The wife says this is nuts, and believes the same results can be achieved with a "straight cook" (i.e., without the 20 minute intermission and changing temperatures).[p]I am willing to try it. If I cook them at 500, does 6 minutes per side sound right (for a medium cook)? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    At 600º on a preheated cooker 1 1/4 thick steaks should be ready in about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes per side.[p]
  • djm5x9, I'll certainly try the "touch technique". It sounds, however, based on your numbers at 600, that somewhere between 5-6 minutes per side at 500 is in the ballpark. Thanks.[p]
  • djm5x9
    WWAC:[p]All this is based on your desired doneness. For me, I like to hear a little mooing when the steak comes off the grill . . .
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    djm5x9,[p]Different strokes for different folks. Do you like that mooing sound whispered in your ear?? smiley thing[p]Tim
  • djm5x9
    Tim:[p]Yeah, baby! Moo![p]
    dizzy4.jpg
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    djm5x9,[p]Way to under done. Moo? I am surpised it doesn't kick you![p]Tim
  • djm5x9, have you no heart?? wouldn't you prefer a nice green salad? i'd much rather eat veggies than that nasty ol', blood-rare, crusty, juicy, mouth watering steak...
  • djm5x9
    Tim:[p]I have this HUGE piece of meat on the cooker right now. Although there are only four rib bones, this roast must be twenty five plus pounds.[p]This is the larger half of an un-trimmed rib roast purchased and divided about three months ago. It has part of the spine attached and an additional thick layer of lean meat that is not present on a trimmed bone-in rib roast. It came cyrovacked, so in preparing it for the freezer, a knife would not divide it so I had to send one of my boys to go to the basement for the saws-all. The boys had a good laugh over that one.[p]One of the local Hispanic markets sold it to me for a good price and when they see me they refer to me as "That Crazy American" . . .
  • djm5x9
    Leon:[p]Not to worry . . . We had salad with it!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    djm5x9,[p]Something tells me I'm going to work my way down to your neck of the woods and let you cook for me sometime.
    Sounds like there's always something big cooking at your household. [p]Did you really write 'spine' and 'saws-all' in the same paragraph?

• djm5x9
    WooDoggies:[p]1 - You are most welcome to pay a visit - anytime . . . Just let me know your adult refreshment preferences and what you would like on the menu.[p]2 - Yes . . . I sent the #1 son to the basement to fetch the saws-all so I could divide that un-trimmed whole rib roast. Had to cut through that collection of partial spine bones. Those boys are young, but they are truly clued in, what clowns.[p]The cook is complete and the meal was excellent. I pulled that roast off at 108º center internal. The meat was cut to separate it from the rib and spine bones. We ate off the side and that extraneous meat that is typically already trimmed from a rib roast. Really odd. Some of that extraneous meat reminded me of brisket in flavor and grain, yet was only medium rare. Really good. Obviously, we will be feeding off of this for the next few days.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    djm5x9,[p]Thanks Darryl, that's very generous of you to allow me to invite myself to dinner. :~) I will definitely take you up on that.
    As far as preferences.... I like it all and lots of it![p]And nice to know your teaching the boys how to properly utilize power tools in the kitchen.... that's a very big step in the making of a cook. Heee![p]John[p]

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    djm5x9,
    That is a little rare for my taste, but how do you get that beautiful char crust on your steaks? I have tried and tried but haven't got it down yet. I sear at 750° for 3 minutes per side, then dwell for 3-4 minutes depending on the size of the steak. Do I need to sear longer or put on more seasoning, or what?

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Posts: 23
    djm5x9,
    Now that's the way a steak should look just before I sink my teeth into it.[p]Big Ed

• djm5x9
    Steve:[p]I cut my own ribeyes 1 1/2 inches thick and grill till rare at about 600º dome. No dwell, just a short rest before served. Those steaks were Dizzy Pig Cow Lick dusted and part of the secret is using a spice mix that gives a pleasant char . . . Cow Lick seems to qualify, just ask The Princess . . .