Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

still the holidays - any peanut brittle recipes?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I could just Google for recipes, but does anyone have a heirloom peanut brittle recipe they would care to share? Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Ron,
    I have one I got years ago from my dad, but it cannot be adapted to the egg. You must use a microwave for it. I think it makes as good peanut brittle as I have ever had. Does that interest you? If so I can post it or e-mail it since it is not a egg recipe.
    Tom
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I, for one, would like to have it. Post it, please! Thank you!!
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Peanut Brittle Microwave

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup white karo
    1 cup dry roasted peanuts
    1 Tbs butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking soda

Mix sugar & Karo in a Pyrex bowl or cup, (minimum 4 cup capacity), microwave on high 3 minutes. Add peanuts and microwave on high 3 minutes. Add butter & vanilla & microwave on high 1 minute 15 seconds. Stir in baking soda, as soon as it foams up pour out onto buttered cookie sheet. Do not spread. Let cool, break up and serve. Note ... times may vary depending on the microwave

Please pay carefull attention to the "Pyrex" notation. That or some type of ovenproof glass or it WILL break. Also use a mit or glove when removing it from the microwave.
    I get all ingredients measured and ready before starting. Then, less than 10 minutes later it is cooling.
    Hope yall enjoy,
    Tom
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thanks so much! Gotta give it a try! I assume the peanuts are unsalted?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Thanks, Tom. I'll give it a try. BTW I should have said I wasn't looking for an egg adaptation.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Your preference. I have also made it using pecans & almonds.
    Tom
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Well I didn't give a egg adaptation either!! :woohoo:
  • Desert Filly
    Options
    Here's my recipe. Stove top....cand thermometer needed.
    2 cup white sugar
    1 cup white corn syrup
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1 tsp salt
    4 cups peanuts...lightly salted
    1 Tbsp baking soda

cook sugar, syrup, and water til it forms soft ball (236 degrees) Add peanuts and cook til mixture is amber in color..about (294 degrees). Remove from stove and add salt and baking soda...stirring thouroughly. Pour quickly on greased baking sheet...let cool, then break into pieces.

I've also lined baking sheet with foil...sprayed with Pam.
    Good luck.
    Kim
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    The recipe I use is almost the same as Rusty Rooster's. The most important thing is the Pyrex dish and make sure it is big enough. It's amazing how much the mixture grows when the baking soda is added. Foil on the tray makes it easy to lift and break. Have made this with peanuts and pecans. Several "brittle experts" like it as much as other methods and it's very easy in the microwave.

--Dave