Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall off the bone Baby Back Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been Eggen for about a year now. This forum has been wonderful.
Here is my method for BB ribs, borrowing from many techniques I have read here.[p]1-4 racks of pork bb ribs
225 degrees through out the whole BBQ.
Remove membranes from ribs.
Dust with rub, garlic etc.
Prepare Egg, bring to temperature(225).
Add chips for smoke(chunks or watered chips)[p]Add ribs, direct heat, Meat side down 45 minutes.
(This gives nice grill marks)
Flip and cook another 45 minutes.
They two times are where you get the smoke flavor.[p]Remove and wrap each rack with HD aluminum foil.
Place wrapped ribs on Large Aluminum Weber tray (disposable).
Cook for 2 hours (225).[p]Remove from Egg. Unwrap racks. Put the ribs back on the Egg
direct for about 15 minutes.
Add BBQ sauce of choice and crank up the heat.
I like the ribs tender and crackling on the edges.
(You must watch this last step because it is easy to over do.)[p]This method for me is now bullet proof. I set my digital timer for
45 minutes, turn the meat, repeat time. The 2 hour part is great for consuming cold ones. At the end you add the sauce and watch the magic.[p]The meat will wall off the bone. They are not mushy if you observe times and temperatures.[p]Enjoy

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ken from CAL,
    Sounds good to me. I think I will go kill a hog.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Spring Chicken:[p]You can do that only if you wait for me to join you and the both of will prep it for cooking on a pit in the ground. I'll bring the Bud or spring water, your choice . . .
    [/b]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    djm5x9,
    50 years ago that is exactly what we would have done over in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, but these days "go kill a hog" means to stop by the local grocery and pick up some pork ribs or bacon. I know, ain't no fun in that, but it is a bit less troublesome. And there weren't no Bud around to drink. You drank Jax or Falstaff or 'shine (made with spring water) like everyone over 10 years old did. It was an all day and all night cook so a lot of 'shine was put away. And a lot of stories told. I suspect some of those stories were stretched a mite 'cause they seemed to grow every time they were told. I learned early on that BBQ ain't the only thing you can spice up. Anyway, your recipe made me plum hongry and I aim to fix that tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. Oh yea, the wife says we can't be digging no hole in her manicured lawn, but you are welcome to come sit a spell and we can conjure up some tall tales over some ABT's and a few pops with foam on top. Might even throw some sto-bought ribs on the Egg.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Spring Chicken:[p]I believe Ken deserves the credit for your excitement over tomorrow's cook.[p]Regarding a pit cooked pig, I remember the Falstaff, Shine, and the fun of the prep and the cook . . . Enjoy your cook tomorrow.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Yea, you're right. I should pay more attention. Sorry Ken. Add that to my accumulation of misteaks in 62 years of living on Planet Earth. Now totals 2. Spelling errors are 1 and your's was 2. (Note: Buying an Egg resulted in a bunch of credits - I love my Egg).[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA