Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - found really old egg

Options
davidbridgman
davidbridgman Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK so my mom has one of these green eggs from the 50s, she gave it to me. It does not seem to match any of the sizes on here. The grid in here is 16 1/4 inch, the opening is 17 inch accross. It would appear to be somewhere between a medium and a large. Does anyone know anything about the really old ones? Should I just order parts for the medium or what? The grid for the large won't fit and the grid for the medium is narely big enough to stay on the fire ring.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Those are old Japanese Kamados. They are clay and do not like high temp steak sears. If you keep them under 350 you should be fine. I would go with the medium "guts". If you wedge large stuff in it, the heat will expand the metal grid and crack it.
  • davidbridgman
    Options
    thanks for the info. why can't you do the extremely high temperatures in these old ones?
  • The really old eggs,like the one you described,are made out of clay(not ceramic).The clay won't hold up to the heat.I wouldn't go above 350 degrees with a clay one.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    You might try calling BGE headquarters to see if they know anything. What info I have is on my Information Central page. Good luck!

Information Central (Look for the section on old Kamados)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    They are clay and are very brittle at high temps and easily broken.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Your comments were spot on, but c'mon posting under stoopid? At least help the guy out. He does not know about clay and you surely gave the board "2 thumbs up" with the ID.
  • About 8-10 years ago I picked up a kamado (which is what you probably have) at an estate sale. This was before I new that BGEs existed. It probably is easily 50-60 years old. They are much more fragile than the BGE. I have replaced the fire box and ring, which is one piece from kamado, once because the original and then the replacement broke apart from moving once and from heat the second time. I talked with BGE and concluded that from the measurements mine was in between a large and a medium BGE. In fact initially I tried a large fire box and it was too big. So I put the medium box and ring in that leaves a little eggstra air room between the box/ring and the shell which is probably good for the shell. I use it regularly and even occasionally when I don't watch it, it will jump up to 450-500 when I'm heating it up and it survives OK. I don't really cook over about 350 though. I even drilled a hole in it to put a thermometer in so I know better what it's doing. I now have a large BGE and just got a mini for the wife for Christmas. So I painted the kamado green to match the others and for protection. The kamado probably won't last nearly as long as the egg, but it's already lasted a long time. You can't beat the price of the kamado, I'm assuming you're not paying too much, so if you need to, you can replace the guts and get a lot of use out of it.......but I guarantee you will own an egg in your future.
    Sorry for the long post, but I do have first hand experience with the kamado and my two cents would be use it and have fun. You can do much of what you see posted here on it.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I have the old Kamado I bought in Japan in 1970. Mine is a large so it's the same measurements as a large Egg. I've replaced the firebox and fire ring. It's still working great. Sunday I cooked a ham and for Christmas I cooked a standing rib roast.
    A good place to check on yours is Kamado King Inc. 1-800-637-0399. They still make the clay kamados. That's where I got my parts. Also try the Kamado Forum. Richard Johnson is also one of the original suppliers of the old kamados.
    Good luck.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's not entirely accurate...
    it's prudent to stay under 500/600 or so. no raging fires or extended pizza cooks of 750/800 degrees.

these cookers were used for searing in their day, remember. they are not very frost proof, and the freeze thaw will be an issue if it's left uncovered for long, or if the terra cotta is bare (unpainted).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • davidbridgman
    Options
    Thanks for all the information ya'll. I am trying to post a picture but can't figure out how. It is in fact a dull green but covered in very thick dust. The bottom draft opening does not slide, it just pulls out. It looks like the fire pit is cracked, I guess I will replace it with a new one.