Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

\'Our\' Standing Rib Roast

Smokus Maximus
Smokus Maximus Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas to all the fine folks here!

After all the help you've given me getting ready for our Christmas dinner, I thought the least I could do is share some photos of the process.

Here is the smoker after a friend and my wife helped me get the patio pavers under it, as suggested:

prime_rib001.jpg

Here is the standing rib roast resting a few minutes before heading to the egg:

prime_rib002.jpg

Finally, here is the meat on the egg at about 275 degrees with the potatoes in the pan - I'll keep monitoring the temp and try to keep it around 250 degress:

prime_rib003.jpg

Thanks again for all the help!

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    uhm...you forgot the last 2 pix Geoff! :blink: :blink:
  • Still cooking!

Stay tuned ;)
  • Ok folks, here's the final few shots!

Here's the beef at 125 just prior to heading into the cooler (I used third eye's reverse sear suggestion):

prime_rib004.jpg

The potatoes were still not done (they'd been cooking about 3.5 hours at 250) so I cranked the egg up to about 425 and left them on while the roast rested.

20 minutes later the roast came to 131, I put it back on the egg and moved the potatoes to the oven at 400 (they STILL weren't done).

8 minutes later, the roast came off the egg:

prime_rib005.jpg

Here's where I think I made a mistake. I'm used to letting the meat rest after all the cooking is done, and I don't think I should've done that with this method. I believe the extra 10 minutes I rested it after searing took the internal temp about 5 degrees north of medium rare, it came out medium:

prime_rib006.jpg

It was more pink than it looks in the picture though, and even over done it was excellent - certainly MUCH better than the meat we've been bringing out of the oven or off a gas grill.

Here's the final meal plated:

prime_rib007.jpg

Again, it was more pink than it looks in the picture. Actually the potatoes were a pleasant surprise - delicious! Really had a smokey flavor, which I've never experienced with a potato before. Next time I will take them out of the fridge an hour before cooking and have them in the pan the moment I put the roast in - I think that will help them finish about the same time.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my second effort on this wonderful cooker - I won't win any awards but we enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to beef tenderloin on Sunday (my folks are in town for the week) followed up by some ribs and even brisket.
  • My favorite meal,
    I have found out through many cooks
    that cooking it low gives the whole roast
    the same temp. Cooking higher temps
    will result in well done ends,
    My 128 degree Christmas roast this year
    rested longer than normal and cooked
    to almost medium.
    Still awesome, but now I will take in
    consideration rest time.
    Happy eggin