Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Turkey

Revolution
Revolution Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a Turkey tommorrow that I will have brined for about 12 hours.

Usually I cook about 14 min per pound. Will brining the turkey change the cooking time?

-Charlie

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I believe I have read post that they sometimes do. I can't say for sure myself. Hopefully others will chime in.

Hope it turns out well for ya.

Merry Christmas,
    Bordello
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Brining shouldn't change the cooking time..that said I have always brined for a minimum of 2 days or if allowed 3 days...brining is a chemical process that takes time to happen as opposed to just rubbing or marinading a piece of meat...my personal opinion is you can't "brine" in less than 24 hours..it's an eqilibrium thing..that scientific stuff is beyond me..but it do make a fine bird..one of which I will be cooking in the AM...best wishes..
  • Thanks. I wish I had more time, I had read elsewehere not to brine for more than 18 hours.

Should have asked here first.

-Charlie
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    You can see on my website in the cooks section what
    I am doing once again with a 24# bird for the family this year...it is worth the time..if you have it to spare..or can plan ahead for it...it's all about live and learn..you should be fine for this year, but you can make it better next ime...aint life grand..
  • I did side by side cook with a breast brined 24 hours vs a breast that wasn't and they finished exactly the same time. I may repeat the experiment some time in the future, but for now, that's what I have experienced.

Brining Experiments
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Revo - Honestly, 12 hours is almost pushing the limit for brining a bird (turkey). If you are making a corned beef, etc, I agree with 3 days (or more). For a bird, no longer than 12 hours! You do not need ""more time". Your bird will be the juciest you've had! Do not forget to wash the bird well, and I do mean well, inside AND out after brining, before cooking, or it will be disgustingly salty. Pat dry, brush with oil or melted butter, then roast.
    Good luck! Happy eating!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I know you are the professionally trained chef and I'm just a backyard guy, but I have to challenge your last statement about brining. I've used a John Ash brine for 4 days for several years with wonderful results. Isn't your brine comment based on the amount of salt in the brine? BTW Merry Christmas!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Chef
    I just looked at the John Ash brine recipe...I assume you are reffering to this...

http://www.geocities.com/webcipes/turkey/t2.html

I can not disagree with his recipe, except for the brine time. If you have had success with it, stick with it! I have, and thousands of others, have their own brine recipe. I, personally, do not believe there is anything to be gained with the extra time in the brine. I believe the same results can be accomplished in up to 12 hours. There is only so much osmosis the flesh can accomplish. Just my thoughts! That's what makes the world go 'round! If it is successful for you, stick with it! (You may very well have the same result with far less brine time...just a thought!)
    Yes, I am a professional Chef, but the last place I want to be is to think there isn't something new to learn. When that day arrives, I will hang up my knives. (It won't happen....I learn every day!) So please, share your stories!
  • Brining will shorten the cooking time- I figure about 10 min/ lb in a 375-400 Q.
    Your best bet is to use a cable thermomoter and pull at 165 breast. Hold in a cooler, wrapped in AF, towels, etc until time to carve.

good luck
    Al
  • Little Chef
    With no disrespect for opinions.... Yes, cook to an internal temp of 165, beyond this, if you must hold it until plating, place on a platter LOOSEly tented by aluminum foil. (Please...NO towels!) Any accumulated juices from the platter should be added into your gravy drippings. The bird will hold at temp approximately 45 minutes. Beyond that, it will still be warm, but not cold. However, if placed into a cooler hot , it will continue to steam, and thus be over cooked.
    Bottom line...cook to 165. Remove from oven, tent with aluminum foil. Allow to rest 20-30 minutes before carving. It will still be plenty warm for eating!
    Also, as many brined birds as I have cooked, I've never known there to be a difference in cooking time. 165 internal, then rest (which will carryover to 170-175)
  • Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It just goes to show you that eggers have different ideas on how to produce the best tasting product and that is what makes this forum so awesome.

Merry Christmas to all.

-Charlie