Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIB Rub

Options
EGGLANDS BEST
EGGLANDS BEST Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a homemade rub for baby backs that you would reccomend or suggest thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Salt, pepper, and a little turbinado or brown sugar.

That's all ya need.
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    do i do equal parts of each??
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    i do about equal parts. it is just to taste. the sauce you are gonna use will make up for the light rub.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Yes! "Indian River Pixie Dust"

Rub, Magic Dust, "Indian River Pixie Dust", Richard Fl

Mike Mills is the only three-time Grand World Champion at the Memphis in May Barbecue Competition and owner or partner in barbecue restaurants in Illinois, New York and Las Vegas. In his James Beard Award-nominated book, Peace, Love & Barbecue (Rodale, 2005), Mills describes Magic Dust as the most popular condiment at all of his restaurants, and the most frequently stolen. He advises that it can also be used on popcorn, baked potatoes or pretty much “anything but ice cream.”

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup paprika, (Smoked Optional)
    1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground, (1/8 Cup)
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbs mustard powder, (Coleman's)
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup ground cumin
    2 Tbs ground black pepper, ("Indian River Chipotle Rainbow Pepper")
    1/4 cup granulated garlic, (Garlic Powder)
    2 Tbs cayenne, (1 TBS Cayenne, 1 TBS chipotle, ground)

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container. Keeps indefinitely.
    2 2008/12/24--Like to use it on pork and poultry, baaked potatoes and home made tortilla chips. Just readied a 13 bone,10# Crown of Pork this pm and used it!

Yield: 2 1/2 Cups

Recipe Type
    Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Recipe Source
    Source: Wine Magazine, 2006/06/01

2008/08/15---Richard Fl- Made the recipe with the changes as noted in parenthesis and called it "Indian River Pixie Dust"
  • Dr BBQ's Big Time Rub: here's the recipe from his web site.

it's great!

http://www.drbbq.com/drbbqfavoriterecipe.php
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    thanks for all the replies...richard what's the ingridents to making the Indian River Chipotle Rainbow Pepper? would loike to give that a shot as well
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here it is! drop me a usps addy and after the first of the year I will send you some! Happy Holidays.

Spice, Pepper, Rainbow, "Indian River Rainbow Pepper", Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    THESE %'S ARE BY WEIGHT
    50 % Peppercorns, Whole, Black
    10 % Peppercorns, Whole, Pink/Red
    10 % Peppercorns, Whole, Green
    10 % Peppercorns, Whole, White
    10 % Peppercorns, Whole, Szechuan
    10 % Coriander, Whole
    3-5 % Pepper, Red, Crushed

Procedure:
    1 Mix and grind them outside in an open air place. Grind in electric coffer grinder, ( I use a KRUP), shake thru a medium screen drainer for vegetables, The larger pieces should be reground adding more of unground mixture. When done grind dried rice thru grinder to remove spice flavor, or better have a dedicated grinder for spices only.
    2 The Red Pepper used is actually the seed from the "Florida Holly" a trash tree here in Florida commonly called the Brazilian Pepper. It is a bitter taste when dried but gives the flavor I stumbled onto many years ago. Regular Pink/Red Pepper corns will work as a good substitute.

Recipe Type
    Spice

Recipe Source
    Author: Author: Richard Howe, '87

Source: Richard Howe, 2007/05/25

Yes, these %'s are more than 100% but it works, The % is by weight and 1 large container of black is usually 16-22 Ozs. depending on source. I usually buy bulk, works for me to get 5 lbs black, 1 lb green etc.

http://www.bulkpeppercorns.com

11/19/06: Took 16 ozs. of the regular unground mixture and added 1 1/2oz. Chipotle dried and then ground together. Nice and spicy!

The pepper is good on anything except oatmeal and pancakes. as my lady friend says. Try it sparingly until you get used to it, little spicy and do not use as much as you would regular cracked pepper until you find what you like.

mi