Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast

jharv
jharv Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a 6 lb (3 ribs) standing rib. Always used the oven in the past. I would like some EGGspert advice on time/temp. Thanks.

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    It's just my wife and I so we bought a 4.25 lb roast.
    Right now it's in the refrigerator oiled and seasoned ready for the Egg on Christmas.
    I'll cook it at 350* indirect over a water pan using Jack Daniels chips for 2 hours or 135* internally.
  • jharv,

There are a lot of links and advice below. A good portion of today's posts posts have been about prime rib/standing rib roast.

GG
  • Here's my 2 cents:

Rub it liberally with garlic, pepper, rosemary and salt.
    Set up for indirect with the place setter (legs up) and drip pan.
    Sear it in a hot egg at 425-450 for 20 minutes, then damper down to 350 and continue cooking for about 12-15 minutes per pound. Final internal temperature should be:
    125 rare
    130-135 medium rare
    135-140 medim
    Pull it about 5 degrees BELOW the desired temperature and let in rest a minimum of 30 minutes. The internal temperature will slowly rise that final 5 degrees and the resting does wonders for tenderness.

You and yours will be in heaven tonight!