Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 for spares on a gas grill?

Options
McPhreak
McPhreak Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this is the BGE forum. I'm away on vacation right now and only have a gas grill to use right now. Can I still use the 3-2-1 method for making spare ribs on a gas grill? Anything I should be aware of when using a gas grill compared to the BGE? TIA.

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Options
    i used to do ribs on propane and they are just a little different.the main concern is the control of temp. do indirect with fire on one side and meat on other. and the combo might work out more like 2-2-2 0r 2-3-1.
    good luck
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I agree with Slotmercenary on the indirect in the gasser, but I think spritzing will be more needed on the gasser than the egg because of the much dryer heat. Foiling will become more important too.

As far as adding smoke, you can still do this by wrapping your wood chunks/chips in a couple layers of alum foil and poke holes into the foil with a fork. set it over the fire portion of the grill and you'll be good to go after about 5 mins of heating, plus the ash will be in an easy to toss package when done. Enjoy!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    if you cant make a decent inderect setup, you can put the ribs in a foil pan and add a little liquid and cook it covered for 2.5 to 3 hours until they start to fall apart. then grill them and add sauce for as long as it takes to firm them back up. we are not talking egged ribs here, so you get what you get, better than boiling and grilling. my brother does this in an egg and they do come out pretty good, not what i look for in ribs but conveinient for cooking several racks at a time for the masses. the sauce now becomes more important than the smoke and rub so get a decent sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it