Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP,

Options
Baby j
Baby j Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HPIM2332.jpg

Put the turkey on at 350, it's been on for 1.5 hours, I used pecan wood, why is it so dark?

baby j

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Looks a lot hotter then 350. Have you check the calibration of your dome thermometer? Did you play with the vents after you put the bird in?

What is the internal temp of the bird?
    Did you us brine?

You could try covering it with foil, but I am not sure that will save it.
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    Too much smoke. Either use less or let the smoke clear a bit before putting food on.

It's still edible but you'll know next time.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I did one a few weeks ago with a similar appearance. I believe it had to do more with the quantity of wood chips then anything else. The smoke darkened the skin but the bird was excellent tasting. I did not eat the skin. Next time I will probably forgo the chips or at least minimize them if I want a picture perfect bird.
  • Eggscaper
    Options
    looks like its on a med egg? if thats the case then it is to close to the temp reader and giving you the wrong temp. try to cover with foil and measure the temp through the daisy wheel to see if you were getting a false reading.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • Baby j
    Options
    Egg is a large. I put the bird on right after the wood chips, so it might be to much smoke.
  • Baby j
    Options
    No, I haven't calibrate the thermometer lately. Internal temp was 125. I closed the vents and got a reading of 350. So I closed them a little more.

baby j
  • Baby j
    Options
    I did put it on just a few minutes after I put the wood on.

baby j
  • Baby j
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help. I'll let you know how it came out. I just feel bad, I finally got my aunt to let me cook it on he egg aftr she kept insisting on cooking it in the oven.

I brined it for 8-9 hours last night, used a recipe I found on here and added a few things.

Rub it down with oil, salt, pepper.

And put it on right after I added the wood chips. Next time I'll wait for the smoke to clear up a little.

Again, thank you for all your help.

baby j
  • big_ezy
    Options
    Was there any sugar in the brine?
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    If the under side is not brown, you might want to try and flip the bird over. Good luck.

Gordon
  • Baby j
    Options
    yep, that's got to be it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you take your finger or paper towel (finger is best) rub in the dark area. If you get a black residue then your seeing too much smoke from your wood. This will look mush like liquid smoke you would buy.

If the ebony look is not smoke residue and even if it is take some aluminum foil and loosely tent the bird to stop the color from darkening.

Most of the time I don't have to foil the bird.

I always monitor the pit temp at cooking level & meat temp when cooking Turkey using a Maverick ET-73 or the meat probe of the Stoker or DiqiQ II.

Turkey 325° dome & a lot of wood chips pulled bird @ 165° internal.

turkey.jpg

Chicken cooked @ 400° dome pulled @ 165° internal - raised grid.

chick400.jpg

Chicken cooked at 500° dome for 1 hr. I was testing the 500° cooking that was going on at the time and didn't worry about the skin color. Tasted great and moist.

chick500.jpg

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Coming in lste on this but looks like too much smoke. I bet it is still real good. Here is a chicken I put a bunch of sugar cane smoke on. Looks burnt but it's not - skin was good.

IMG_2524800x600.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Baby j,I cooked several turkeys for Thanksgiving.I was using a LBGE and when I closed the lid the dome temp guage was too close to the bird to give an accurate reading.Dome was showing 250-275.I knew this could not be correct so I placed a thermometer down through the daisy wheel and actual dome temp was 350.Hope this helps.It never hurts to get a second opinion,i.e. the second thermometer.
  • Baby j
    Options
    Thank you very much for all of your help. The turkey tasted fine, (a little drier than I had hoped) but it tasted fine. Just gotta wait for the smoke to die down a little more I guess.

baby j
  • Baby j
    Options
    I might have to calibrate mine and maybe get a second one next time. The bird came out great. I was really worried about it, it was my aunt's. If it was the one I got from work, I wouldn't have been so worried about it.

baby j