Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I finally need a new grill.I have a few questions before jumping into your cult! 1) While I do a lot of all day, lets smoke a huge thing type cooking, which the BGE obviously excells at, I also do a lot of last second, grill a burger for lunch (or a corn muffin for breakfast. Is this smoker also user friendly for a quick heat to the meat then eat? 2)I have always prefered my grill surface to be level with the edge of the cooker, it allows access to food at the front edge without contortions. The BGE grill surface appears to be seriously sunk into the cooker. Any frustration regarding this placement out there?[p]Thanks for any input
Larry

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    Due to a unique set of cimcumstances, I became an Egg owner this past summer after 30 plus years of grilling on conventional surfaces. [p]I've got to tell you that the Egg has brought a new and exciting aspect of cooking into my life. I, too, like long cooks. However, as with most of us, this usually only happens on weekends or special occasions. The rest of the time I spend doing quick grills of burgers, chops, chicken, pork tenderloin, game hens or steaks. I find the Egg great for this type of cooking.[p]I have never had a problem with the recessed grill. In fact, you'll find that the set-up is really flexible and that for different applications, you'll want(and need) to make adjustments. It's just another aspect of the Egg that makes it so appealing.[p]Hope this helps. [p]Mike [p]

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    515 PHOTO,[p]You can definitely use the Egg for ordinary grilling; in fact, it makes unbelievable steaks, chicken, and fish. It heats up at least as fast as any ordinary charcoal grill, but not as fast (obviously) as a gas grill. But there's just no comparison in terms of flavor and tenderness. I grilled on gas for more than 20 years; but since I got my Egg, my poor gas grill is rusting away.
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    Take the plunge. You will never regret it. I've never had better steaks or burgers. And the low and slow cooks are outstanding. As to your next question, if you can afford it, buy a large.[p]You can buy a grill extender that will raise the height of the grid. But is has never been an issue for me.[p]Good luck!

• eggaholic
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    As everyone else says,once you try it you will never go back,it does a better job grilling anything than my gas BBQ
    ever did.You can cook hotter and faster,and it tastes better because it's over wood.
    Access to food on the grill is not a problem,you just need the right tools,and a good pair of gloves,and I get around the slower startup time by using a charcoal chimney on top of a single burner gas camping stove to get things hot quick.
    Good luck,happy egging
    Brian

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    515 PHOTO,[p]The beauty of the BGE is you can do so many kinds of cooks...low and slow, grilling, baking (pizza, calzone, muffins, etc.), dutch oven cooks, most anything you can think of, it can do.[p]One thing to consider....Eggfest will be in May and there will be lots of tasty treats to try out that would give you an idea of what can be accomplished...and I understand that the eggs used at the 'fest are then sold at a reduced rate for the package (it'll be my first Eggfest, so not totally sure on the details...my understanding is the plans are in the final stages and will be announced soon)...[p]If I was in the market for an egg, I would DEFINATELY consider checking out Eggfest.....![p]Enjoy,
    QBabe
    :~)

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    I've got both a large and a small. Using a MAPP torch, I can get the 450° that was max for my gasser just as fast, maybe even faster, from either. And in another few minutes (10 to 15) I can hit 650 to 700° for super steaks, chops, burgers...
    Lowered grill is a minor problem: when you have to use a spatula (burgers) just make sure you have room to manuever.
    Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    Welcome! Regarding the recessed grill: First of all, for pizza, it is mandatory that you raise the grill up. For this there is an accessory called a plate setter. It is a ceramic tripod with a flat top that you can set a pizza stone on at the level of the grid. For indirect cooks, you can turn the plate setter upside down with the legs up and put a grid on the legs at the level of the opening. For direct cooks, there is a grid extender. However, I just either put some fire bricks on edge on the grid and then put a second grid on the bricks, or you can take a grid and put three bolts on it about 4.5 inches long for legs and then use that as the grid you use if you want a raised grid. If, however, you need to have the grid down closer to the fire, like for searing steaks, then of course, you will just have to reach down in there with long tongs and flip your steaks. I would think burgers are the only thing you need to use a spatula on. I don't do many burgers so I've not tried them at the raised height to see if it gets hot enough on a raised grid. But I wouldn't let that recessed grid worry you. If you told me that I had the choice between an egg with no burgers and a gas grill with no everything the egg can do, the egg wins in a hearbeat. I think you can find a way to make burgers either on a raised or lowered grid that will satisfy you. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]My post had a typo. Regarding the plate setter, it should have read:[p]"For this there is an accessory called a plate setter. It is a ceramic tripod with a flat top that you can set a pizza stone on at the level of the OPENING."[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    I made the move to a large BGE in December. I too had concerns about how well it would compare to my older grills. Well, with a couple of months under my belt I can honestly say there is nothing that can compare with either the BGE or this Forum. You cannot go wrong. I think the most interesting fact is how my wife has taken to the egg. Well, let me rephrase that--how well she has taken to the food prepared on the egg. Burgers are not a problem and the results will surprise you. Steaks are unbelievable, and we just can't seem to get enough port tenderloin. [p]It is so versital and surprisingly easy to master. Go for it! Your deserve to reward yourself with the best once in a while.[p]Larry

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Humpty,[p]You said, "Steaks are unbelievable, and we just can't seem to get enough port tenderloin."[p]If you like port tenderloin, you'll LOVE starboard tenderloin.[p]Sorry, I couldn't resist. (No, I really couldn't) :-)[p]And actually, if you go to the Virtual Weber Bullet website and read up on brisket, you will find that there are rumors circulating that the brisket from the left side of the cow is better than the brisket from the right side. So, maybe I'm not so looney after all?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Godogs
    Options
    BlueSmoke, If you have trouble getting a spatula down to the grill you can use a grill extender to raise the surface or, do as I did with my small and add an additional fire ring which raises the grill surface level with the rim.

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    515 PHOTO,
    You hit the nail on the head when you said "cult". Most of us really love our BGEs. You will find no better bunch of people to converse with about cooking and soon you will start considering these people your friends even if you have never met them face to face. As far as time to cook, it takes about 10 minutes to heat up (give or take depending on your lighting process and what temp you want to attain), but the cooking time usually is shorter. Some of the wonderful people on this sight are better than me at grilling nightly, especially since I am a very big wimp grilling when it is winter - but in the summer it is going almost every night (especially when the wind is just right and the smoke heads in the direction of my neighbor's pool). There are a few things (pizza, fish, etc.)that requires a plate setter or grill extender to raise the grilling surface up a little bit, but most of what I do (hamburgers, hotdogs, steaks, chicken parts, brats, porkchops, etc.) gets grilled on the regular grilling surface.
    The best way to decide whether you want a BGE is to try something from it. The rest will work itself out. If you have any further questions, feel free to e-mail me.
    Julie

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    515 PHOTO,[p]If you are considering charcoal over gas then nothing out there is easier to start up than the egg. My friends and family have always liked my bar b queing but before I purchased the egg, I would cook a couple of times a month. Plus once the weather outside started to turn cooler, I would put away my Bar B Que instruments. The egg is so easy to use that I routinely cook two to three times a week now and because it is so easy to use, Bar B Q Season never ends. It's no longer just Bar B Que with me. I now have the versatilty to do fast, cooks(minutes)like steaks and burgers, medium cooks (five to six hours) like ribs and tri tip, and long cooks (twelve to twenty four hours) like brisket and butt. All with remarkable ease. There are very few things in life that I could say was among the best things I've ever bought after purchase, the BGE is definately one.