Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

smoking an uncooked ham

MarkMark Posts: 295
edited 12:05PM in EggHead Forum
I have not done an uncooked ham on my egg before. Wondering about cooking time and what final temperature I should have for the meat. Ham is about 10lbs?
·

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Mark,[p]Never tried an uncooked ham before - many are precooked and just need to be reheated. The label will tell you. If it has never been cooked then I can tell you that about 150° will be the goal meat temp, or a little higher if you want.[p]Tim
    ·
  • Mark,
    I did one yesterday and I cooked it indirect at 350 for about 3 hours. I used no smoking wood and it turned out great it had a slight smoke taste from the lump. I took it off at 145 internal. It was done and still moist. I dont know if this is the correct method but it worked for me. Hope this helps. Pigtail

·
  • Pigtail,
    What is your definition of indirect. When I use that term I'm referring to a ceramic plate I place below whatever I am cooking. Also, how large a ham did you do? Mark[p]

·
  • Mark,
    A uncooked ham should be cooked to the temp Tim suggested and let it rest for 1/2 to 1 hour after you pull it off the cooker.
    I would throw some hickory or pecan at it, ham and smoke go well together.
    Jim

·
  • mark james tuttle,
    Yes indirect is using the platesetter. I did not look at the weight but I guessed that it weighed about 9 or 10 pounds. It sure is good. Going to have some tonight. No Monday Night football. What will I do.

·
  • How many pounds was the ham pre-cook?
    ·