Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My second Brisket

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I tried my second brisket yesterday and it came out great. This was a 6 pounder and I started it at 10 PM Saturday night and removed it at 2 PM Sunday and put it in a heated 'cooler' (electric type).

Here it is right before I removed it from the grill
DSC04373.jpg

and here are the first few slices
DSC04376.jpg

I used Big Green Egg charcoal on my large BGE and filled the firebox as full as I could. A few hours before it was ready, the temperature began to drop and when I checked, the charcoal was almost gone. I had to pull everything, add more charcoal, and wait for the smoke to clear before putting the brisket back on.
This was my first long cook and I was surprised that I had to do this. I thought that BGE charcoal was good for long cooking sessions?

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The brisket looks great. You really need to get your lump almost to the top of the fire ring for the long cooks.

If you ever have a fire burn out, just pop your food into a 250 degree oven while you get everything ready to cook again....If it's close to done, just finish in the oven.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Texas Eggie
    Options
    Great Tip

Thanks
  • Shiff
    Options
    That is a good idea to keep in mind for the next time I cook one.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • aturco
    aturco Posts: 55
    Options
    that looks amazing!!!!
    what temp did you cook it at?
    Internal Temp?

sounds like you had it on the egg for 16 hours is that right?
    10pm - 2pm the next day?
  • Shiff
    Options
    I cooked it at 225 grate temperature for the 16 hours. It would have taken less time if I hadn't had to take everything apart and add charcoal. I figure I lost an hour doing that. As others have mentioned, I should have just finished it in the regular oven.

I pulled it off the grate at 197 degrees internal temp.

Next time I'm going to try wrapping it in foil with broth and returning it to the grill when the internal temperature is about 160 degrees.

The rub I use has turbinado sugar in it and I also slathered on some spicy brown mustard.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA