Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops

Options
Nessmuk
Nessmuk Posts: 251
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Request recipe/experience in cooking scallops?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way. Be careful not to dry them out, they get tuff and rubbery!

Scallops, Planked

Steve in Maryland,I love scallops!! The best way to do them IMHO is on a Alder wood Plank. Soak your plank for at least 1 hour, longer if you can. I use a combination of Garilc and Bad Byrons Butt Rub on my scallops. Pre-heat your egg to about 325, steady your temp then place your empty plank on the Egg, close Egg. After about 5 minutes flip the plank and let it go for about 5-7 more minutes. When you open you egg, the plank should be smoking/ steaming. This is the time to put your scallops on. Brush plank lightly with olive oil, place your scallops on plank, close egg and cook 10-15 minutes depending on your preference of doneness. They end up with a lovely smoky flavor. No matter how many I do at one time there has still never been enough, everyone still wants more. Good luck!!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Renee Attili, 2007/06/16
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    My buddy hatch cooks the most righteous scallops on the egg. You need a pretty hot fire, so as to brown them before you overcook them. Direct. Lower grate position. A light coat of shakin the tree is what he uses, and I could eat a pile of them now. Real simple, ya just gotta pay attention while they are cooking.

You didn't say how many you have to cook. If it's too many to handle on the grill using the individual flippage technique, you might consider locking them together with two skewers. One skewer, and they tend to spin around when you flip. A dozen or less, and you can probably handle individual flippage.

If no shakin the tree, salt and pepper is also real nice. The main thing is to brown them fairly quickly.

Dang. I'm doin' burgers tonight, and it's fresh ground dry=aged brisket. But I think I'd rather have scallops.

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dsc03528a2L.jpg

Mmmmm. I guess I need to try the STT. Raging River or Dizzy Dust + lemon pepper has always been a good choice for me.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Good to hear from you. I appreciate your input.

I didn't go to the American Royal this past year. Congratulations on your success.

I continue to judge selected BBQ contests.

I have arrived at a decision. If the "greenies" mandate that I can have only one smoker, it will be the BGE. With the additives, we can now cook on several levels. In the past we were able to cook on only one.

Hope to see you at the Royal in 2009.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yep, shakin the tree is great on scallops. .. but kick em up a notch. . .wrap each one in a slice of prociutto, brush with a little melted butter, then a shake of that STT. .. like you said, grill at a high temp till the prociutto is crispy and the scallops are browned on the surface .. .. .yummy in the tummy!!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks much! We did notice that you did not come by this year. I sure hope to see you there in 2009 too! I surely don't expect to get lucky to be invited 6 years in a row, but we'll give it our best!

Enjoy the scallops!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Wrap thawed scallops in maple bacon using toothpicks to hold bacon. Pour Wishbone Italian dressing over the scallops. Let sit for 1 hr turning once. Before putting scallops on the BGE put DP Shakin' the Tree on scallops.

Set BGE at 350 degrees indirect. Cook scallops for 20-25 minutes until bacon is done. Eat....yummy & very easy...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    biggest thing is buying the scallops, you want dry or day scallops, not wet scallops. wet scallops have a prerservative in them and those really are for stews and chowders, very bitter if used in a casserole or straight up on the grill. ive dusted them with different rubs but still go back to just cooking them plain served maybe with a lemon slice on the side. if you bacon wrap, you must precook THIN bacon before wrapping or use proscuito. big scallops are better than small ones, more forgiving on the grill for overcooking. better to serve them slightly under cooked than over cooked though you will hear complaints from those that kill fish on the grill.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    I prefer my scallops raw in about 30-40 foot of water, (yes that means while I am grabbing them off the ocean floor) nothing can beat that.

My second choice is a quick sear on the grill. Like others have said, pre-cook the bacon some - needs to still be "floppy" - then wrap each scallop in this bacon, I use sprig of rosemary as a toothpick/skewar, it grows like a weed in my back yard.

Fire up grill to 475-550 degrees, sear on each side long enough to get good grill marks (less than a minute per side) pull off and enjoy.

People who want them cooked longer - serve them hotdogs instead, save the scallops for people who really enjoy them ;)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    My favorite was the direct grilled. Probably 500ish with Tsunami Spin. The ones in the pan were same temp with butter and Tsunami Spin.

Fromtheseaoffire.jpg

Scallops.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    except for scallops at 100-120 feet.. :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What would make a scallop from deeper water any better?

The deeper you go the less time you have to harvest them.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    45 minutes is enough time..

They are bigger!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I did not know they were bigger in deeper water. I find that interesting.

45 minutes at 100ft....things sure have changed since I've been diving.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Dive Computers and Nitrox.. :)
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Yes, deeper water typically means fewer divers, so bigger scallops, but it gets colder and darker, and is not typically as much fun.

I have gone "free diving" for scallops, but I like the whole 30 or so foot experience:
    Find a nice bed of scallops, find a nice place to sit down, let the air out of your BC. Kick back and relax, sit and much on a few scallops, watching the fish swim by, and basically just enjoying life for a few minutes. Its one of those "real moments" for me B)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You just need to live someplace where the sun reaches the bottom at 100 feet..

They don't call NC Coast the Crystal Coast for nuttin'..

Vis at depth is typically 30+ feet.. On really good days you can see the wrecks from the surface.

Lowest temp I dove in off our coast was 65 at depth. It was colder on the surface..
  • fishlessman
    Options
    that is something ive found strange, diving in maine late december to early january and the bottom temps are about as warm as they are going to get. after that and they start dropping again. been along time since ive dived.
    fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Our diving waters are out into the Gulf Stream Remember NC sticks out into the Ocean quite a bit.

We will reach 75-76 degrees at depth in the heart of the summer.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    we get sections of warm water that spins off the gulf stream like big ponds or lakes, you can see the color change of the water from a distance. the sharks line up on the temp change lines of those big ponds and feast on the warmer water fish that get stuck in them. how big are the shells on a descent sized scallop, in one of the bays near deep water they are about 8 inches across in august but ive never had the nerve to bring stuff up with the lobster men around to see how big a scollop comes from one. the lobster guys do NOT like you diving near their traps up here so you dont want to pull a bag of something into your boat at all.
    fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The shells are 8 -9 inches across. The actual "scallop" is typically only a 2-2.5 inches across. Like the big scallops you see in the fish markets.

I have heard tales of what those Lobstermen have done to divers. It is actually illegal to take a lobster while diving in Maine. I guess the big boys are afraid we'll steal from their traps or take their livelihood. Doesn't matter that most of their traps are below recreational diving limits and lobster don't like to venture into really shallow water, least not in the numbers they catch.

No matter I'll go to Florida and get the Spiny or Shovel Nose Lobster. When the season is open you can get 8 a day, 30 a season. The rule is you must take them by hand or tickle-stick and the carapace must be 4" or greater. You have to bring them up alive. The Fish and Game people will write you up fast for a dead bug. Ohh and no females with eggs. Best not get caught scrapping them off either.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Work smart, not hard! I go to the fresh fish market and buy the diver scallops. It takes less than 15 minutes and I don't have to hold my breath. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i cant legally dive for scallops there but its good to know if i ever become a maine resident that that spot holds the right sized ones anyways. and its only about 40 feet in that spot. last time i was there it was practically littered with scallops and some of the biggest star fish ive ever seen.
    fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I am not holding my breath.. Not supposed too..

One of the instructors and his deep water class saw me eat a scallop at depth. When I got to the surface he was telling his class "Did you note he was still breathing?"

Jumping off a boat and sinking is not hard work.. Getting back on in 6' seas can be a b*tch though.. :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Starfish love clams :)
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Hell, just standing in 6' sea is a b*tch. BTW, LC got a care pack from NC. I wonder who and what that could be? :whistle::whistle::whistle:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    If you can't smell whats in it then it arrived safe..
  • bubba tim
    Options
    and sound, Thanks. I am sure LC will be doing back flips when she get back. :)