Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp shock?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to fire the Egg on Xmas eve to do a stuffed rolled steak/roast. My question is: it's below freezing and the egg is the same temp. Should I be cautious as to how fast I bring the egg up to temp? Is there a danger of cracking?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Only danger is to the cook. Hypothermia is a b*tch..
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You might want to cover the Egg. After a cook a few days ago, I didn't cover one of mine, and then there was an ice storm. Took me about 1/2 hour to chip enough away to open the lid. Intended to start a small fire in it to help melt off the few inches of ice, and found the bottom vent also completely frozen shut. Thankfully, a few seconds with the MAPP torch opened that up. So I did a pre-heat with a small load of lump, and once I had scraped off all the ice, and the dome was up to about 150, filled fully, and let 'er rip. The outside temp was -2 F.
  • Papa bear
    Options
    Good day Jammer.

This last week end I did a low and slow on a pork but. I put it on at 10:00 pm friday and it came of at 10:00 Saturday morning.

When I started the egg it was at about 10 deg here and just got colder over the night.

It just took a little longer to get up to temp but that was all. So I dont think you should have any troubles. Just allow som extra time in your schedule.

Mike :)