Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I can do with an EGGPLANT?

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please be gentle, I've got two of them.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02477a.jpg

Big Green Eggplant Parmesan is one option. Baba Ghanoush, a seriously garlic/tahini laden dip is another.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    My advice would be to quietly trash them and hope that my wife, the eggplant lover, doesn't hear about it.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The original form of this recipe uses Eggplant and it is good. Just sub the potatoes with an equal amount of Eggplant.

Moussaka
  • Plant it and see if'n you can grow an egg!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Try to grow an egg silly. :lol:
  • http://www.aubergines.org/

Any of them that are baked or grilled can be cooked in your Egg.

Use your imagination
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Todd,

You can slice them and make pizzas out of them. You want to salt them and let them sit till they shed some water. Baba Ganouj is a good dip as Thrdeye said.
    You can chop them up and pickle them in oil.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    That looks interesting. Do you cut the eggplant into chunks?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Antipasto Sauce, Eggplant & Hot Pepper Antipasto Sauce, La Bomba

OK, y'all have been talking about this relish like it's a pretty amazing Nectar-of-the-Gods-level condiment. *********And I haven't ever tasted it. ********So I says to myself, "Self, what's in this stuff?" ********And I use this newfangled Google thingy to learn that the importer, San Remo, has kindly listed the ingredients here as "MUSHROOMS, EGGPLANTS, OLIVES, PEPPERS, ARTICHOKES, CARROTS, HOT PEPPERS, NATURAL FLAVOURS." *********So I says to myself, "Self, this is just a simple eggplant tapenade." Not tricky, just a lot of knife work (or, if you're lazy or not too picky, pulses in a food processor). ********So looking a bit further on this Internets thingy, I run across the following here: *********Eggplant and Hot Pepper Antipasto Sauce © TPH & llizard aka ejm 2000,2001,2002 ********We are absolutely addicted to "La Bomba" hot antipasto sauce made by Allessia. But it isn't always available, so we looked at the ingredient list and came up with a reasonable facsimile. ********

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup olive oil (more or less)
    10 mushrooms, chopped finely
    1 red pepper, chopped finely
    1 banana pepper, chopped finely
    1 carrot, coarsely grated
    1 asian eggplant, chopped finely
    1 Tbs chili flakes (more or less)
    6 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
    10 sundried black olives, chopped finely
    5 cocktail olives, chopped finely
    juice of 1 lemon
    salt & pepper

Preparation
    1 Heat oil in a skillet. Sauté mushrooms, peppers, carrots, eggplant til soft and all the water has gone from mushrooms.
    2 Add chili flakes, artichoke hearts (get good quality ones), olives and heat through.
    3 Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
    4 Pour into a clean glass jar. Pour a little olive oil to cover. Allow the sauce to meld in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving. It can be stored in refrigerator for up to a month.
    5 This is a wonderful accompaniment to pizza. It is also very good slathered on thick slices of crusty bread.
    6 I would add the caveat that it probably makes sense to thoroughly rinse any canned ingredients, to prevent metallic flavor in the final product. Also, for bonus points you could BGE-smoke any of the soft veggies (mushrooms, peppers, eggplant, artichoke hearts), although the French and Italians don't.
    7 So, is this pretty much what you guys were drooling over?

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Charleston Dave, 2008/09/12
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Dittos to Thirdeyes eggplant....made it several times, best we ever had! B)

Here's mine B)
    IMG_1330.jpg
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    We grow the Asian ones and slice about 1/2" (crossway or slight bias), grill over med high heat enough to toast a bit, turn over and spread some fresh pesto on the top. Works with the larger fruit to, but not quite the cute little appetizers. Great while the egg is gettng up to T Rex temps.

If you have large ones and no pesto, put them down low (or on) burning lump and let cook/ char. gently turn them a bit so they cook somewhat evenly, till they are soft and collapsed- 20-30 min? Put them in a large paper bag to steam and cool for 5 min, peel away (most of)the burnt skin, press some fresh garlic into the hot flesh and S&P to taste. Coarsley chop/ mix.
    Add a bit of EVOO if inclined. We sometimes squeeze in a little lemon to brighten it up. Goes great as a side dish vegetable, or dip on little triangles of pita.
  • Suggest you grill slices (long way) until they are soft. Then assemble with a ground meat sauce made with a bit of tomato, onion and cinnamon. Top with Bechamel (white) sauce into which you stir a beaten egg (using the tempering technique--stir some cooling sauce into the egg, then egg mix into sauce.)

This goes by the way into a lasagna type pan and baked 375 for an hour. The result is Moussaka, a very nice dish. The Egg-ed eggplant should supply a smokiness that would really accentuate the flavors. The slices can be brushed with oil to assure they don't dry out.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Slices 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick on a diagonal
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=37416&catid=1

Big'un: here's an old post of mine (from almost 9 years ago!) with a really yummy Baba Ganooj recipe.

Your sauce rocks. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Julie
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    You can cook this on the egg with a cast iron skillet, but it's just as easy on the stove. Cut the eggplant into circles about 1/2" thick. Score a tic-tac-toe pattern on the front & back. Heat up the skillet and load up some evoo. These will sop up the oil. Season with salt, pepper, fresh garlic & rosemary and cook until soft. We serve them as a side, if they make it to the table, or as a topping of one our favorite specialty pizzas. Lay them on the crust and put some mozzerella on top. I've grilled them on the egg also, but they seem to dry out. I may have to soak them in evoo before I put them on the egg next time.