Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin help

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]Doing a pork loin this evening for dinner. Help on time and temp would be appreciated. I started marinating the loin at 9:00 this morning before church. Any suggestions for smoke/no smoke and what type of wood would be appreciated![p]I'll check back after church[p]Banker John

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Banker John,
    My favourites (and therefore, my recommendations), are:
    Indirect cook, 350 dome
    Depending on size, will take 1-2 hour, probably closer to 2
    Remove at 140-145°F internal and let rest for 15 mins
    Yes to smoking, with pecan a strong recommendation, apple or cherry as alternate choices
    Qfan

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    Banker John,[p]NEXT time - BRINE at least for 6 hours. You will get a juicier, more flavorful roast that is more forgiving if you exceed the temperature.[p]tlhrtp
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    tlhrtp, How do you go about brining meat? Do you have a recipe for the brine? Love to hear your response because I am not familiar with this technique. Thanks! John
  • Mac  in NC
    Options
    Banker John, What kind of marinade are you using? Are you wrapping in bacon?
    You got me thinking about grilling, I hope I can concentrate at church!! Enjoy!
    John

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    Did you say brine? Heh, heh. Alton Brown has several in his new book. I think the weber virtual bullet has some info on brining. Here are a few links I had handy:[p]http://cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/03/25/FD107260.DTL
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    This link takes you to an excellent lean pork brine. I played around and came up with an apple juice version of it, but I have no idea where that recipe is! I know Puj has used it and liked it, so maybe he has a copy.[p]Sunday brews to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Here is the link.
    [ul][li]Spice Cooks Brine[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I found that recipe![p]1 cup water
    1 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 chopped stalk lemongrass
    6 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    2 tbs pepper[p]I boiled the mixture to infuse the flavors, and chilled with ice-in-a-ziplock. Brined the chops in a ziplock for 4 hours, then rinsed, patted dry, and coated with pepper/corriander/sage/onion powder (don't use any salt), and a layer of yellow mustard. Grilled them like steaks, maybe 600 for 4 minutes a side, then dwelled to an internal temp of 145-150.[p]Hope it helps! You could sub some lemon zest for the lemongrass if you don't have access to fresh lemongrass. Dried lemongrass is nearly worthless.[p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Banker John,[p]Since you didn't brine, I would suggest hot and fast...grilling.[p]Sear at 550-600º for 5 minutes on each side.[p]Then back heat down to 400º and cook for another 30-40 minutes. You want to turn and baste every 10 minutes from this point. Use your marinade, but boil it first, then you can serve as a dipping sauce at the table.[p]Bring it to 145-150º, wrap in foil and let rest 10-15 minutes. [p]Total cook time will be about an hour.[p]Slice thin and enjoy.[p]This is about the only meat I brine. It is much more forgiving after brining so easier to slow smoke. Without brining, you run the risk of drying it out if you are slow smoking. [p]I greatly prefer my loin and tenderloins grilled as described above and have not slow smoked them in a long time. Just a personal preference.[p]Stogie
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Banker John,
    I agree with BBQfan1 and tlhrtp. We had one last night for a dinner party stuffed with ginger marmalade, toasted crushed walnuts and dried cherries. The loin had been brined for 14 hours, rinsed, stuffed and refrigerated for 8 hours before cooking. The dome was 310-320, and the roast placed over a drip pan and cooked to 144. After 15-20 minutes, it was sliced and totally devoured. No wood was added since the lump provided enough smoke. Other times we have used apple. Good luck, and enjoy.

• Banker John
    Options
    Banker John,
    OOPS - I guess I forgot to add the word Tender to my request. I am cooking pork TENDERloins for dinner - not a pork loin. My fault. Is it to late to ask for help & advice? Time, temp, etc.[p]I rubbed with grocery store spiced deli mustard and then heavy sprinkle of a home made rub (kosher salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, more black pepper, saffron, turbinado, sage, & even more black pepper). THen wrapped the TENDERloins in saran wrap and in the fridge to wait till time to put on the grill.[p]Thanx in advance - Banker John

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Banker John,
    I have used this recipe and my family really liked it..I remove from the egg when it reaches 145°.
    Larry

[ul][li]Pork Tenderloin[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Banker John,[p]Pork tenderloins are my current kick - I did a couple the other night with just a dry rub (kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, allspice, turbinado sugar, garlic powder, Hungarian paprika) and a coating of olive oil and spicy brown porter style mustard. Refrigerated for about 1 hr, then cooked direct at 325 dome for 15 minutes, flipped and cooked until 145 degrees internal (about another 15 minutes), and let rest off the grill for about 5 minutes before slicing. I didn't use any wood. These things were amazing--so juicy and tender, and the flavor was wonderful. The rub you used sounds like it will be great. You'll love the results.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • Banker John
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    I am marinading to different tender loins. [p]One is in a marinate of olive oil (1.5 cup), saffron (1/8 tsp ground fine with a morter & pistel), onion pieces (1 large strong one) and garlic pieces (8 cloves). All in a zip lock.[p]The other is in a marinate of 1/2 cup worchesthire, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup cheap spicy mustard. 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp turbinado.[p]I'm getting ready to light the grill. Thinking along the lines of 375 direct, upper grill until internal of 145. 145 seems to be the consensus. Still not 100% set on cooking temp or whether to keep grid in upper or lower position. Any suggestions?

• Banker John
    Options
    TRex,
    do you put them on a raised grid or grid directly on the fire ring?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Banker John,[p]I realize that it's too late to answer your question, but for the sake of completing the thread I will go ahead and do so.[p]I always cook them with the grid directly on the firering, but before doing so, I make sure that all flames have died down and that I have, for the most part, glowing coals, not flaming coals. The first time I cooked them I think I still had a good amount of flames when I started off and one side got a bit charred. I can see where using an elevated grid, like many people on this forum do, would help safeguard you against the flames charring the meat. [p]I also found that cooking at 325 rather than 350 helped keep the flames to a minimum.[p]TRex