Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef

Options
Still Smokin'
Still Smokin' Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We usually stick with with boston butts and do the pulled pork for bbq. Usually we use the leftover pulled pork for enchiladas, quesadillas(sp?) or other mexican meals. I was wondering if anyone has found a good cut of beef for doing pulled beef. I would think you would need a roast that would require a similar overnight cook before it would fall apart. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. [p]Still Smokin'

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    We used chuck roast for pulled beef. It wasn't as good as pulled pork though. GFW and Tim both have recipes on their site. [p]~nikki

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    nikkig,
    I did not remember seeing the pulled beef on their sites, I will check it out, thanks.

• nikkig
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    On Tim's site, scroll down to beef, and it's listed as chuck roast. On GFW's its listed as Pulled BBQ beef.[p]~nikki

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    nikkig,
    Thanks, is chuck roast the best cut for this that you have tried?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    I would offer up Beef Shank as a possible cut for pulled beef.[p]I did a low'n'slo cook with a mix of chuck and shank. You could tell that the shank had that big beefy flavor. Also, it may be the texture that you are looking for since it was firmer than the chuck when it fell apart.[p]Just a thought,
    RhumAndJerk

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I am looking for the texture to be similar to an 18 hour smoked pork shoulder. I have never looked for a shank before, not sure if I remember seeing one at my grocery store. Can you get them a Kroger or Sam's club? We do have one butcher in town, and he's open sometimes. I think his hours are similar to 9 to 5, M thur F while i'm workin.

• nikkig
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    We have only done it once, and I used a regular chuck roast. It just didn't have that great of a beefy flavor, and it was a bit on the dry side. It wasn't one of those knock your socks off dinners, so we have never done it again.[p]~nikki

• SW
    SW Posts: 3
    Options
    Still Smokin', Have done a low and slow using a sirloin tip roast. Was great. Great crust and not dry at all.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    SW,[p]Did you brine, inject, or baste it? Usually a knuckle is pretty dry considering it is part of the round and very lean. Do you mind sharing your cooking method? I would like to be able to use one of these for shredded beef, but it always turns out very dry unless injected once it comes up to temp with a oily marinade.[p]Thanks!
    Ashley

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    Here are two different definitions that I found for shank.[p]The front leg of beef, veal, lamb or pork. Though very flavorful, it's full of connective tissue and is some of the toughest meat on the animal. It therefore requires a long, slow cooking method such as braising. Beef shank is used for ground beef; a popular veal shank preparation is OSSO BUCO.[p]Brisket and Shank
    The brisket and shank lie beneath the primal chuck and encompass the breast and foreleg of the animal. The brisket is tough and fatty and lends itself well to slow cooking in liquid. This cooking method also works well for the shank, a flavorful cut. Since it is full of collagen, which turns to gelatin when cooked, shank makes an excellent choice for broth and soup. Brisket and shank cuts include whole brisket, flat cut brisket, corned beef, and shank cross cut.[p]I have seen the meat in both ways, a cross-cut which looks like small chuck with a round bound and hole shank which looks exactly what it is. I want to [p]I do not think that it would hard to find, but it may. Like I said, It has the Big Beef Flavor. I would like to try and cook one like a brisket.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk
    [p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    that is whole shank and not hole shank.
  • Still Smokin'
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks for the info. Looks like we may see up to 2" of rain this weekend. I may wait and do it next weekend. I do have an umbrella for my setup, so I may try it anyway.[p]The shank does sound like the type of cut I am wanting to try. I will post once I try it.[p]ss