Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in a garage - need advice

Options
reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a screened in gazebo that we keep our eggs in during the winter. I was away for 3 weeks and when I returned home the eggs were in the egghut but there is no way to get to them. There is 3 feet of snow on the path leading to them. The snow is frozen like a rock so it's going to be a long time before I can get to the eggs.

I do have an egg in a box in the garage that needs to be assembled but before it's assembled I wanted to find out if anyone has used their egg in a garage. I would keep the garage door open. My concern is the smoke working it's way into the house. Husband says it's a "bad idea". I don't think I can wait it out for the snow and ice to melt. I would like to get some opinions on this. Thanks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it is a bad idea. forget smoke, it's the carbon monoxide that is the issue.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hi Anne. I have contemplated the same thing now for two NW PA winters, but my better judgment always wins the day. It's a bad idea and the smoke WILL get into your house. First little thaw, get one or more of those Eggs back to the house! Mark ;)
  • reelgem
    Options
    Never thought about that. Probably won't be egging for a while. :(
  • reelgem
    Options
    We'll have to wait it out. Thanks!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I agree with stike < !GASP >

Unless you like to be inside a hyperbaric chamber leave the eggs out of the garage..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You can walk on top of hard packed ICE and snow.

If not that is what the kids are for. Hand them a shovel. Tell them they eat when you can get to the egg.
  • Hello from North Fond du Lac

Another 10 inches of snow today!!!!

I use my egg inside our garage all winter.
    I do have the garage door wide open as well as the side door to keep good ventilation. I roll the egg out to the very edge of the garage.
    I have not had a problem with somke in the house, the draft created by the open side door helps keep the smoke moving.
    Your garage will have a distinct odor a few days after!!
    I agree with others that it is not the best idea, but in this climate, our choices are limited. I do keep a very close eye on things.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Pete, wish it was that ez. Unfortunately the ice and snow are blocking the door to get to the eggs. This is our first winter experience. It's not much fun. What did you do in upstate NY in the winter?
  • stike
    Options
    blocking the door? that means you are snowed in!

hahaha
    can't you get out of the house and shovel the door free?

me no unnastand.
    the winter isn't something that should keep you from cooking
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I live in Ohio and have been grilling in my garage in the winter for almost 10 years. Of course I leave the garage door open. I, too, roll it to the garage opening. I'd say more than 95% of the smoke gets sucked outside immediately. There is some risidual smoke in the garage that eventually dissipates. There is no smoke inside my house. For some reason I don't like my windows and doors open when its 0* outside.

So far I haven't succumbed to grilling in the garage. Don't think I will anytime soon either.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• reelgem
    Options
    Sound like you're getting the same storm in Fon du lac that we're getting. We had 12 inches of snow when we left this morning. This is going to be a long winter. I haven't met any other WI eggers, glad to hear from you. Are u new to the forum?
    Also, thanks for your input on this.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I walked around the side of the house..

or I handed my son the shovel and said you don't eat till I can get to my grill..
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Get Ricky Bobby over there and throw a shovel in his hand.

Mike
  • reelgem
    Options
    The egg is in a gazebo which is about 40 ft. from the house. Everything was shoveled while we were gone except a path to the egg. Soon to be ex son-in-law forgot to take care of that part.
  • stike
    Options
    CO is relatively heavy, and crawls along the floor. i guess 'in theory' you could be safe doing it out at the door and all.

but i have a friend who has a set of steps that go from inside his garage down into his basement. like an old bulkhead or something. in a case like that it's not impossible to imagine the CO flowing downstairs.

in any case, it would be wise to just get a CO monitor and plug it in. i warmed up the car in the garage once for my wife, and on the second floor inside the house, the CO detector went off . door to the basement from the garage was shut and everything

>>EDITTED: interesting thing i just found. because it's produced from a fire, this CO would be warm, and would initially rise and mix with the room air, not really settling. yikes. even scarier.
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Options
    Have grilled in upstate NY in February and south Florida in August. I'll take NY in February for egging.

Dave
  • stike
    Options
    ah. and is probably frozen over by now too.

rrrrats.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    A floor fan set to blow outside between your EGG and the garage door opening would be a good idea. Just be sure that the wind won't dominate the fan! Merry Christmas, or whatever!! 8 - )
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I have been eggin in my garage for years, but then again I deep fry on the egg too (still vying for the Darwin award). My large egg table is on wheels so I can wheel it into the garage in bad weather, done dozens of cooks including overnight butts in there... I would take all the above advice concerning precautions, & just use common sense & you'll be fine. Here is Garage Mini in action:

IMG_1761.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Zippy,one important thing that you left out though.Your garage is separate from the house,so you don't have to worry about sending CO or smoke into the house :);)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Exactly, very good point. Also, some of the additional precuations I take, when I am doing a regular grilling, the double door is wide open & the other door too, I'll even put a box fan to circulate the smoke/carbon monoxide outside, & I usually don't sit there the whole time. I'll do a low & slow overnight with all the doors shut but always have the guru attached to be sure it stays at a smolder then open everything up before going back in next morning...

As a final precaution, I am always sure to have a lot of beer on hand, it enhances obervance of all the safety rules :lol:

IMG_1768.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I would not Egg in my garage, period. I got enough smoke from roasting coffee beans, but they dont blow flames out the bottom
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You know how many people I brought into the hospital half dead from grilling in their garages for a long time..
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Anne,

Bad idea on several levels. Even if you get it out of the garage by five feet, you will reduce the fire and gas problems.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I vote for chipping the ice, shoveling the snow, and cooking a safe distance from your house.

Be safe, and happy holidays!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    10 feet outside the garage is safe, as long as something doesn't go wrong ;-)

Cheers buddy!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Well she can always build a fancy patio if it does.. :lol:

Assuming she is out of the hyper-baric chamber
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Can't you shovel out a small patch in front of the garage door?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Chris,

I was thinking the three feet of snow might help. If people only knew what it was like eh?

Steve ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    I egg in a carport all the time -- it's closed on two side. Occasionally, we'll get a lil' smoke in the house, but it's worth it.