Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I increase cooking space?

Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to expand my cooking surface, and am not prepared to buy another Egg quite yet (in time, in time...).

I'm wondering about adding stacks of racks, so I can cook on two or more layers at once.

I need to have the equipment in hand within a week or so.

CeramicGrillStore offers this adjustable rig:

a-Rig1.jpg

Is this what I want, or does anybody have other suggestions?
Can I get reliable quick delivery from this vendor?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    That is what you want.

Don't forget the spider..
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    That's what I have. Go to Tom's site! The adjustable rig is the best thing you can put on your egg, next to meat. He now has the sliding shelves which is what I will ask for, for my bday in Jan.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Thanks for the heads up on those sliding grids. Thats got to be the best thing I've seen yet for an egg. I already wanted the rig, but now I GOT TO HAVE the rig :woohoo: Maybe I'll have some cash gifts for Christmas to get that set up. I just got tipped off tonight that a Thermopen is on the way from the inlaws :laugh: What a happy Christmas
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    It would only take a brief review of a few days posts to see that TJV's Adjustable Rig is very well thought of among the forum members. I've never seen anything negative posted about it. Ever.

I have one for my Large and will buy one for my Medium if he ever makes one.

Search "Adjustable Rig" and see what you come up with.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Top notch product in quality, design, and functionality.

I have the adjustable rig and spider for my large, and the woo2 for the medium and the mini-woo ring for the mini. Tom's products have allowed me to improve my cooking on the BGEs.

I have never heard anyone that owned his products disparage them in any way, and have never read a case of buyer's remorse.
  • I'll join the chorus. Have the adj rig, spider, sliders, drip pans. The sliding grids make doing ribs a snap...two st louis racks per shelf, you can do four racks and rotate 'em without moving anything but the elliptical grids. With six you need a place to set the rig to rotate the grids. My only criticism is that there are no stainless elliptical grids available, but that's minor and I think Tom's got it on his list.

Just buy the adj rig and spider package. You'll love it. And you can check stock, but if he's got it in stock, you'll get it quickly.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    two fire brick splits and a second grill will work if you cant get the adjustable rig fast enough, but that rack is worth every penny for conveinence and you will want the spider to go along with it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • That is a great rig, but you did not say why you needed extra surface. Are you doing multiple butts/briskets or do you want it for apps/abts, etc.

You can get a simple BGE grid extender for whole lot less and see if you are really going to use the extra space that much. I spent a lot of money on a 3 tier rack that I barely use.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    What a great start for Christmas. You'll just love that thermopen. It's amazing, the things you'll probe with that. :blink: :laugh:
  • Nolan
    Nolan Posts: 26
    Does this fit when your smoking using the plate setter?
  • fishlessman
    you use a pizza stone or pan with the spider under the rack, no need for the platesetter. gives you more space
    fukahwee maine

• Wow, that's some high customer satisfaction...I will be calling them this afternoon.

Many thanks to all for the feedback. I asked because I've noticed Eggers often have different ways to do the same thing. Frankly, I haven't seen these setups in use, and there are so many different configurations on their site I just wanted to make sure by asking the experts.

Crimsongator, I need the space to cook apps onsite (most likely ABTs, it's looking like) for 60 souls on New Year's Day. Future use: multiple butts and slabs. Cooking the ABTs on their side (the "boat" configuration) takes more room than vertically (the "test tube" configuration) but I think it would reduce my prep time for >100 ABTs. Even setting aside the prep labor issue, it seems like extra racks would be more versatile down the line than buying multiple "test tube" single-use ABT stands.

I know I could partially pre-cook and warm things up at the last minute, but I'd rather do it all at once so increasing cooking surface will be a big help.
  • fishlessman
    best upgrade that you can do for the egg, great quality as well
    fukahwee maine

• Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    As for delivery speed - no problem!

I just received mine yesterday, so this would be considered "current" ;)

5 Dec - Placed order online, but paid by check
    11 Dec - mailed check (got caught in holiday period mayhem at home!)
    15 Dec - shipped
    18 Dec - received
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Dave,

Tom will get you headed in the right direction. I "think" you'll want the AR, Spider, an extra set of bars and two 16.5" grids. That would give you three layers of ABT's. You may want the oval grid and sliding rack later, but for your immediate needs, I think you would be giving up too much space.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    holy smokes,thanks for the great comments...nice way to slide into the weeekend.

Charleston Dave, I don't have much to add other than, feel free to call or email me if you have additional questions. My phone number is on the site or my email is acgpinc@verizon.net. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Dave,
    I don't really have anything different say about the rig. I just wanted to echo the others and brag on what a great product it is. I never take mine out of my large. Add a pizza stone and you are all set.