Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dry ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a BGE and am thrilled but a real novice. This past weekend I smoked baby back ribs (sorry, I just like baby backs best) strictly according to JJ's recipe and procedure. I smoked two, two pound slabs for about four hours at 225 degrees. The ribs were delicious but somewhat dry. Did I overcook them or is their some other problem. I would appreciate any help.[p]Thanks

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Bill Smith,
    Sounds like you may have cooked them a little too long. Times in any recipe are to be used as guide lines. I check ribs about 3 hrs into the cook. I use a 2 tine fork others use toothpicks. They should penetrate easily into to meat. You will get the hang of it, to suit your tastes, very quickly.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Bill Smith, I had one bad experience with baby backs that were previously frozen. They were extreemly dried out after cooking the same way as I usually do. So, it may have been a somewhat dried slab to begin with.

• CR,[p]Thanks for the response. I bought these ribs at a meat market I have dealt with for years. Don't believe they were previously frozen, I think I just overcooked them.
    Bill Smith

• JJ,

Thanks for getting back to me. I figured that I overcooked them but this is my first smoker and I am so new at this, I just wasn't sure. The confirmation really helped. By the way, your rib rub is fantastic and you don't have to be Emeril to make it! I was so impressed to see that smoker hold a solid 220 degrees for three hours! I really love this BGE. [p]Thanks again
    Bill Smith

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Bill Smith, I make baby backs about every 10 days. Would you believe some of the best ribs that I have had come from Sams![p]Actually I buy them whenever they are sale (and make a point of looking for them any time I'm in a grocery store or meat store) and I stock my freezer. Would you believe, a few months back Kroeger mis-marked their baby backs at $1.99lb! My freezer was full![p]Gfw
  • Gfw,[p]Thanks for the response. I have a Sam's Club near me. I think I'll give them a try. Nice to hear from someone else that is hot for baby backs.
    Bill Smith

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    Bill Smith,
    I also like the baby back's - almost as much as my kids do. The oldest one - 8 - is catching on to the fact that not all ribs are "Baby Back's"! Ha.[p]Just a couple things I do: I usually cut the rack (yes, Sam's Club is a good source) into thirds. Got tired of the small end drying out - so I put the small ends on after the rest have had about an hour head start. I also get happy with a spray bottle of apple juice to wet them down every so often. The clock means nothing - how they look and feel is everything. I use indirect for the whole cook, if I want crisp I move them to the outside to catch some direct flow.[p]Just my $.05 worth.[p]LVM

• Gfw,If freezer space gets at a premium, send the overflow up here. I'll take good care of em.

• JJ
    Options
    Bill Smith,
    Try not to get the ones that are trimmed too much. I look for the baby backs that have a good fat layer on them and cook them, in a rib rack, with the big bones up. This allows the fat to baste them as they cook.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    shiek, would you believe after years of stuffing the little freezer in the fidge, I bought a little chest freezer for about $160 for important things like ribs, chili, chicken wings, steaks, etc... [p]best move that I made in a long time :~}[p]

• JJ
    Options
    Gfw,
    I bought one of those, now I have an up right and that has out lived its usefulness. Time to get a larger one or another upright. 2 refrigerators and 1 upright freezer for the two of us is just not enough refrigeration space. As you always say "Life is good"