Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking/running out of lump

Options
jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started cooking with the med egg this morning around 600. I cleaned and filled the egg with RO lump and got up to temp. Outside temps today are 38 degrees.
I am using the digi 2 controller.
This evening at500 i noticed temp declining and saw that i was out of lump. Does that sound right? I feel like the lump disappeared too quick.
I am cooking indirect with water pan and cooker is loaded with 2 10 lb briskets. Original set point was 275 dome but i dont think that i ever reached that.
I reloaded lump and she is smoking heavily.Only a few coals left.
Did i put too much brisket in a med egg?
Are outside temps to blame?
any ideas?
Back to babysitting the egg...
jon

Comments

• jonboy
    Options
    I guess that cooking indirect with water pan was a bad plan also. It probably took a little extra to keep the water up to temp. I hope this doesnt turn into a long night to finish. time for a b ee rr un...
    jon
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I, too, have a Medium. The outdoor temps will have little to do with how much lump you're burning. The drip pan/water will have a lot to do with it.

That said -- how much lump are you using? How full are you loading the Egg.

Whenever I have a long burn, I load up to the top of the fire ring -- above the fire box -- I get as much lump in as possible. For a lo-'n-slo burn, I have gotten as much as 20 hours out of one load of lump.

It's easier to have lump left over than it is to re-add during the cook.

~ Best!

~ Broc
    B)

~ Broc
  • jonboy
    Options
    I loaded the firebox up and had to smash the grate down to make it level.
    After posting, i think that i should have ditched the water and left the pan dry or used some foil as a liner for cleanup.
    At least i didnt waste a beer in the pan.:)
    jon
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    also throw that water out ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jonboy
    Options
    ok water is history.
    Second half of cook should go easier. I have beer.
    I guess that i should have started earlier...

Broc,
    I dont think that i have ever gotten 20 hrs with a load of royal oak lump. But i havent ever timed it either.

thanks for the help,
    Sometimes just sounding it out here really helps.
    jon
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    royal oak is among the best out there. that's not the issue
    how full is 'full'? in a medium, i'd fill to the middle upper the fire ring (upper piece) at least
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jonboy
    Options
    I filled the firering up too the grate and then smashed the lump down to level the grate.
    It would be nice to have an extension to raise the grate 2 inches and allow more lump in there.
    It would even be nicer to have a larger egg.
    Maybe next year...
    jon
  • Little Steven
    Options
    jonboy,

Eggzactly!

Did you load with a lot of big pices near the bottom? I findthe medium the worst for charcoal consumption but you should have been able to go longer.

Beer helps.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    shouldn't run out that quick though...
    weird
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If I'm reading your posts right, R.O. lump up to the top of the fire ring should last, oh, 14 - 16 hrs at a dome of 275, minimum, (and probably20+) and you don't think it got even that hot. 20 lbs of brisket in a medium is pretty full. I'd guess that so much meat soaked up lots of heat.

If you have the lump re-loaded (and smoking heavily) you should probably be able to finish up. However, what's the meat's internal temp? 160, and at the beginning of the plateau, or 180-ish, and almost out of the plateau? At 180, you may finish in just a few hours. Still 160, you may have a very long time till its done.

It should be well smoked by now. Maybe consider bringing the briskets in, wrap in foil, and finish in a 250 oven.
  • jonboy
    Options
    getting closer
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I am kinda late replying just catching up.
    I also have a medium with the older guru. What size fan do you have and where did you have the daisy wheel set. It should be only open just crack and maybe you have to much air coming thru the fan. I have the 4cfm fan and sometimes shut it down a little. The more air you are blowing the faster the lump usage
    Gerry