Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wondering about the Guru Golf Club

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am interested in the BBQ Guru Golf Club for lighting the lump. I have viewed the info and videos, however, I interested in thoughts, likes/dislikes from those who have used the club.

GG

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I bought one new from a fellow egger about 4 years ago and hooked it up to my MAPP TS4000 and was not happy. The pressure on my tank is either on or off. Checked with the head man at the GURU and he said I needed a torch head where I could control the flow of gas. Mine had toooo much pressure and just blew the flame out. Work a deal if interested.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Let how much, shipping would be to zip 84118.
    kentja at comcast.net

I keep getting sparks burning shirts/coats.

When it is cold I use weed burner on the large & medium. The weed burner is hard on gaskets on the small & mini.

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Are you now using the MAPP and getting the sparks? which is normal.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When it's warmer weather I use MAPP, alcohol or oil/paper towel.

When it is cold (close to 0°) I get the flame thrower out (weed burner).

At my altitude, one interesting thing with MAPP is that often there isn't enough oxygen available inside the egg at lump level. The torch will often go out. I have to pause then restart the torch. I haven't timed the process but I would think it takes 4 to 7 minutes of mapp on time to get the lump light in 3 spots on the large.

I have rigged up a low volume fan from the top side to keep oxygen available at the lump.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Does your MAPP torch head have an adjustable gas flow or on/off?
  • KingSmono
    Options
    I love my guru-golf club. I use it every single cook. Lights instantly, and I just put it in a couple spots of lump to get my fire going. Then I let the DigiQ bring it up to temp the rest of the way. It makes for very easy lights... I also use it as an ash scraper, and lump stirrer... but I don't like it for picking up grates (as it's also advertised to do). I use my 3rd Hand tool for that.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    What do you have it hooked to for gas source?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    It is benzomatic which has an adjustable gas flow, but there isn't a lot of adjustment available.

I am not sure how the club would connect to the head - might be something else for me to consider.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I have a plastic tube that slips over the tip and the other end on the guru.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I have a sparking issue as well. So I dedicated an old coat just to the task of egg lighting. I wear the burned holes proudly! My wife has a different opinion.
  • KingSmono
    Options
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I have a 5 inch diameter metal lamp shade cap from a lamp store. It has a 1/2 inch hole and I removed the torch tip, put the cap over the tipless nozzle and then a 1 1/2 inch washer. Replaced the tip and then used a small metal hose clamp to snug it up to the tip and hold in place. Yes the charcoal still sparks, but no I don't get burnt much!
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I have the same thing and the pressure on 12 inches of hose blows the flame out. Spend more time relighting than using. Any help is appreciated.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    That's a good idea. I placed a metal funnel over mine and used a hose clamp to secure it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't think I would have ever thought of something like that.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I now have 2 coats and 5 shirts that I have dedicated to the egg. I tell the wife it is the washing machine. Wonder if she believes that...

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My torch head is the same thing. I too would be interested in your setup and use.

Kent
  • KingSmono
    Options
    That's odd! I use one of those long candle lighters (like the one pictured below) and never have any problems... The only thing I do is make sure the hose isn't kinked, and that the golf-club is out of the wind (I keep it down in the egg when lighting) but I've never had any problems. :ermm:

F57LAZBF9T3NGDE.MEDIUM.jpg
  • Egg And I
    Options
    Up until recently I used it all the time. Bernzamatic 4000 head, small cylinders. Just on-off but no problems keeping it lit. Bury the head in the lump to avoid sparks. Light in about three places, takes about 30 secs each with Mapp Gas. Also good for stirring lump, raking out ash, and lifting the grid.

Recently have been using the paper towel and oil method, just because it's simpler. But the golf club does work as advertised.
  • Coburn
    Coburn Posts: 21
    Options
    I use mine every time I like my eggs, without any issue. Cooking an average of 3 times per week and have used the same MAPP canister for about 7 months. I just piked up a nozzle with the adjustable flow from the hardware store and it works perfectly.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I have one and I LOVE it. I use a MAPP torch with adjustablt flow. I had lots of sparks before using the golf club and none after.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    What is the model number of the head?
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Hi Kent,
    Like many others I was looking for a nice easy, trouble free way to light my (med) egg whatever the conditions.
    Here's a little about my various methods:
    1. Chimney on a Weber performer - not great for small amounts of lump but pretty good, means I can light some fresh lump in the chimney (I think it gets rid of the volatiles better) while I stir the old coals gently in the egg and try and make sure there is suitable airflow. Seems a shame to keep the Weber as a table and lighter - it could have a better home (and me a tidier garden / some brownie points if I re housed it) plus it runs on butane which is pretty hopeless in cold weather.
    2. I have a ferocious weedburner connected to a 3.9kg propane tank that works even when it's cold but it sounds like a jet engine and requires constant attention. In fact it doesn't really like the confines of the egg as it can't get enough air and I guess this affect the performance as presumably the charcoal and the propane are competing for oxygen. I also feel pretty foolish using it so give it a blast for a minute or two, think it is OK only to have to repeat a few minutes later. It's just too powerful for the task - slower and steadier would be preferable.
    3. Mapp torch (Bernzomatic TS7000 - adjustable flow)
    This seems OK but I think it must be easier to light a large than a medium as I don't seem to get the chimney effect quite as readily. The flame is pretty compact so concentrated on a small area and the cartridges are small and hence relatively expensive. Again the effect seems to be to superheat one small part of the charcoal with resultant sparks.
    4. Electric Looftlighter picked up a week or two ago on a whim, this is actually very good but means finding and trailing a mains extension lead out to the egg (seems almost wrong!?). I think it works well because it combines heat and air. It is pretty cumbersome to deal with afterwards though, while it cools down (who thought to build a bottle opener into it...?).

5. Veg oil paper towel - I haven't got this to work , but have only tried a couple of times. It would be a firm favourite if I mastered it for simplicity, economy and "neatness/fit" but suspect it works better on a large and better with (some) fresh lump.

The Guru golf club seemed to address the shortcomings of the above methods - the flame isn't a pencil jet but a number of small flames that heat a slightly larger area so not just concentrated on one piece of lump.
    It isn't a jet plane approach that aims to blast the whole contents of your firebox into submission in five seconds flat or even to take a few coals to high temps amazingly quickly but more of a slow and spread burner desgned specifically to be buried in charcoal to light below the surface and hence get a wider area burning and to encourage the natural chimney effect.

In use I have it on a propane torch (I don't think I've used it on my Mapp torch head yet) with adjustable flow (looks like the Bernzomatic JT539) and it works smoothly, quietly and unattended.

It seems to take quite a while to get a fire established, this is based on lighting used lump which is always harder, and one has to be a little careful with the gas flow as it is liable to be too high for the club, blowing the flame out. It is by no means "unsnuffable" but it is designed to be pushed into lump and copes well. I've found I stir the coals up and try to make sure there is suitable airflow then light the club, nuzzle it into a suitable position and leave it for at least 10 minutes with vent and lid open, which is a fair amount of gas from a small torch canister. Then I am usually ready to shut the lid and let the fire consolidate for another 15 minutes before thinking about vent settings and leaving to stabilise.
    The only other reservation I have is the "swivel" connection is actually an interference fit into the top of the club so one has to make sure it is pushed home before leaving the thing in place, I would hate the tube to ping off mid light.
    In short the guru club is pretty good at what it is meant to do, certainly better than more ferocious torch methods, and has been made for burying in charcoal so you can light from below rather than above a particular piece of lump. The bracket that comes with it is useful as well, so you can hok or hang your torch in a suitable place. If I could mount the club to a low power torch on my propane tank I'd probably love it because I wouldn't be worrying about the rate of consumption of the Bernzomatic cartridge. (in fact a friend once had such a device for their coal fire - they called it a gas-poker).
    My suggestion - try it I suspect you'll like it.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I generally light the lump in three spots for about 30 seconds each and have a good fire in 10-15 minutes.

If you are in a hurry, you can light the club, push it down in the lump and then turn up the gas. At that point, you cannot blow out the flame.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hello there James,

Thank you and the many others for sharing their thoughts and experience on using the club.

I find lighting my medium takes more care than lighting my large.

The biggest reason for trying the club is to stop the burning of my shirts from sparks.

The chimney is a good way to light but there is the waiting for the lump to light in the chimney then again waiting for the egg once the chimney lump has been put in the egg. I have only used the chimney once or twice.

The oil/napkin method is what I use the most. I am a bit surprised it isn't working well for you. Once I have the oil applied to the napkin I lay it at length in the egg. I put a few pieces of lump on the top of the napkin then light at both ends & middle of the napkin.

Stike has put up some pictures of how he does the oil napkin.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=324531&catid=1

This time of year, cold winter & deep snow I us the weed burner.

Again, thank you. Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments.

Kent