Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got egg- I want to poke out my eyes

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To anyone that can help...i posted below, but now i cannot find it. My good buddy says get an egg for great ribs that will make you smile. I've had mine for two weeks and I'm using a V-Rack flipped over on top of a stone, about 225* for about half the day depending on the outside temperature. I figured the stone would help keep the direct heat off the ribs but they turn black like charcoal! Makes me so dang mad I want to scream and kick the dog upside down. I put a drip pan in there full of guiness beer to help keep them moist, but it turns all black too...everytime I open it up I wonder what's gone wrong in there and it just makes me scream after I spent good money on those ribs plus the sauce and the beer and the stone and the grill and the stand and everything else...plus I can't work overtime anymore because the city stopped picking up their own garbage and contracted it out to some forign operation that probably doesn't know their head from a hole in my head. Jeezee...thoughts? the other guy asked about my eyes, I don't get it. They get all tingly every time I open that thing up and find my ribs all black and charred and falling off the bones and it's like some sort of grill bandit came along and burnt them and took all the sauce off them and then pulled them off the bones.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Got an address so I can send you a stick to help you with that? :woohoo: :woohoo:
    If you search there is plenty of info to help you get really good ribs.

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    "half the day" means like 12 hours - surely you're not egging them that long. Even 6 hours at 225 indirect would be plenty. Besides have you calibrated your dome thermometer?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ouch...but Buster BBQ is helping me with my problem that I posted below...i think I am going to cut my cooking time down to fewer hours and then try a platesetter? What about wood chips?
  • I didn't calibrate the thermometer at all...does it need it?
  • RRP
    Options
    sure does! And BTW there's a lot of dog lovers here so please don't take it out on Fido!
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I suggest dragging them through the mud before you put the grill.
  • Dog's are great...I love them. My wife's ferret...that's a different story. It smells BAD almost all the time. But, one last thing about this egg is that the sealer gasket around the lid leaks. is there a way to caulk it in or get a new one or a better lid?
  • What about the mud?
  • RRP
    Options
    if the gasket is already shot then your dome probably isn't sitting tightly since any gaps allow gases and heat to escape thus crisping a gasket for quick failure. Yes gaskets are a maintenance item with BGE, but you can now buy a Nomex gasket directly from Atlanta (dealer's don't carry them yet). As for your ribs it's pretty clear you are cooking them way too long and your thermometer is probably out of whack besides.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My guess is that your not even old enough to own a grill
  • RRP
    Options
    you've got two threads working on the same post. Here's the one you said you couldn't find.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=560241&catid=1
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Chips won't poke the eye out, it will take the whole stick. :woohoo:

Mike
  • most of the time forums like this help, but today i feel confused. Some of you have good helpful tips that will make my meals taste let a rib dream (if you know what I mean). I am old enough to have a grill, to vote, and also to pickup the trash for the worthless city I work for until a bunch of forigners came to town and took my overtime away from me and the uniion didn't even say anything about it which is silly because I bought the egg partially to make ribs after our union meetings and everyone liked the idea. So why didn't they do something about the people taking the work from me? That's all besides the point. I am going to try another rack or two of ribs and see what happens.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    As long as the wife doesn't smell like the ferret too.... :( There is hope ;) !!
    Go with a long, slow cook (but it should still not be 6, 8, 10, 12 hours)maybe 3 to 4 hours max! And...Do check that thermometer! Sounds like it could be WAY off!
    I've done GREAT ribs on the Egg! Hope you can get it all figured out.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Check out this video from uncle phil. I have used this method several times with great success.

Kokeman
    Swansea, IL
  • deltadawn
    Options
    I've done 4 cooks for ribs since June and have had great success. Read the forum frequently for great tips from the veteran eggers. I coat the ribs with yellow mustard well and sprinkle with both Dizzy Dust and BGE Maple seasoning. On the BGE with the platesetter and drip pan full of apple juice (don't let pan dry out). drip pan is placed on plate setter under grill rack. Ribs on grill rack. Cook at 230-250 for about 5 hrs. Ribs are done when they bend easy. Don't sauce them until they are done and cook with sauce only long enough to kind of thicken the sauce so it sticks onto the ribs, maybe 15 minutes. We have even gotten so we like less sauce or none at all because they are so goood without it. Hope this helps. Be happy your BGE is not buried in snow. Greetings from Oshkosh,WI.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm guessing sugar or sauced (with sugar in the sauce).

sauce is the last thing you add. one hour, max
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Don't kick the dog upside down. And don't pour the sacred Guinness into the drip pan. Just ease off on the smoke, and check your thermometer. The egg is not the problem. Still have not read the posts below, so forgive me if I am asking the same questions....but how much smoke are you using, and have you checked your therms? Never hurts to take a second temp reading at the grate level. Better luck next time!

ribs.jpg

Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    It helps with the digestion.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    If you cooked the ribs for 8-10 hours, it's no wonder they came out overdone. Do them at 250* or so for 5-6 hours next time and you'll get much better results.

Make sure you elevate the drip pan off your stone, too, or the drippings/liquid will char. I use four wadded up balls of foil. Here's my typical setup, top to bottom:

- Ribs in inverted V-rack

- 18" grate

- Drip pan (I don't put liquid in, but that's my preference)

- Wadded foil balls as spacers

- Plate setter, legs up

Bottom
  • ArvadaMan
    Options
    Try reading this:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/01/pork-spare-ribs-preparing.html

Also, make sure you have a "clean" fire before putting on your ribs on the egg. If you put them on too early, you can get a bad flavor if you put the meat on before the smoke clears up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    eggerator,

You have just been offered help from one of the top notch 'ribbers' on the forum.

Rather than poke your eyes out, why not take advantage from that most generous offer from Mike.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if i do spares, they are far better at 9 hours than at 5 or 6.

i think that he has too much sugar in his rub or is saucing them from the start.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    A great place to start is using the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours foiled, and the last hour unfoiled & basted (I mix equal parts of my fav bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, & apple juice), with a dome temp between 230* & 250*. Also, platesetter, feet up with drip pan, cooking grate on platesetter, ribs on grate or use a rib rack. The times can be adjusted based on your preference of doneness. Some people like the meat falling off the bone, some like the meat to pull from the bone. I have sauce available for those who want it, but don't sauce my ribs while cooking.

Take a breath, do some research, and go get some more ribs to cook.