Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T Single malt

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any single malt drinkers out there?
Whats your favorite?

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Laphroaig 15 year old ......Islay Single Malt ...peat smoked...to me is the best!!!!!!!!!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    had some 32 yr old Oban, It was nice, but do not have any in the cabinet.

Currentlly only have a bottle of 15 yr old Mccallan. Not as good as the Oban, but easier on the wallet!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I am a bit of a novice scotch drinker, but so far I enjoy Laphroaig, Balvenie, and Macallan.

I am still trying to figure out what I really like in a scotch. I have read a few interesting tasting notes on a couple other labels recently that have me wanting to try them as well.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I like the island whisky also.
    I have a 16 y/o Lagavulin I'm saving for the holidays.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    It is pricey.
    I usually have to wait to go to the father in law's house to enjoy the high dollar whisky.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I'm a Macallan guy...normally will drink 12 yr.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I just opened a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood last Sunday. mmm mmm good
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    That is first single malt I tried. Good stuff!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm all over the map. i tend to have a few on hand for variety's sake. it's amazing how different they can be.

started with cragganmore, which is lighter, almost floral. simple 'intro' to scotch, but decidedly different than what i was expecting from scotch. it's a 'Speyside'. Lighter, interesting aromas, etc.

out with the boys, i tend to order macallan, oban

usually have on hand some dalwhinnie 15, Balvenie Doublewood (12). excellent stuff for reaching in and grabbing a bottle

got a nice bottle of 17yr bowmore from a forum secret-santa. wonderful, smokey, malty. i am taking that bottle slowly... it's in Islay scotch, and they tend to be smokiest from what i understand (and have experienced with this bottle). perfect for a guy into 'Q

it's a very interesting hobby.

i know nothing about bourbon, and only a little about scotch. dabbled in wine. expert in BEER!

remember, scotch is essentially beer without the hops, and far less water. so, take the plunge. unless this was a rhetorical question and you just wanted to hear what others like, having already made up your mind!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive tried a bunch, i like the macallans 18 year old the best and its the only bottle i would buy now (once a year for a particular trip). still havent tried the oban. was the first customer in a new irish pub once, they sat a bottle of paddy whiskey down for me on the house, i also really like that stuff but cant find it. on a similar note, im happy sipping on an old tawney port, sandeman is the best ive tried.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I have a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood in the cabinet.
    I like the Isley scotchs as well. IMO Lagavulin 16 y/o is the best.
    Brewed my own beer for many years. Today there is such a variety of good beers that are readily available, it makes homebrew a real pain in the ass.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    My father in law likes the macallans as well. That's the only time I have it. I prefer Lagavulin.
    I'm not an educated wine drinker. What is a old tawney port?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its supposed to be a dessert wine, but the sandeman 25yr is great served in a big sifter while smoking a cigar. bought a bottle this summer and mentioned it here and borders mentioned how good it was with a cigar, he was right. im not into wines but this is good stuff
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Lived in the Highlands for 5 years so I was able to try a lot of them - including "Sheep Dip". Like Stike says the west coast and western isles single malts are distiguished by their peaty taste - Laphroig for example. My personal favorite is Macallam - aged in casks formerly used in sherry making. I don't think there is a bad single malt. Balvenie and Knockando are a couple of my other favorites - Knockando is sometimes pronounced "no can do" after too many.

A good blended scotch is Famous Grouse.

The big boss was visiting once and I was hustling before dinner drinks from the bar at a hotel in Inverness. He said I'll have a Laphroig neet - I was impressed. When I brought it to the table he asked where the ice and water were - not good form. I told him neet was straight up. He said yeah, neet with ice and water - go figure. I understand why the board decided to move on.

Did you know. The only way to see Nessie is to drink two bottles of scotch and then hold them up like binoculars and look across Lock Ness.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Haven't seen you posting any Lonesome Dove Reviews ;)

BuddyLawn
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I will have to give it a try.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Have heard of Sheep Dip but have not had the opportunity to try it. I am currently working on a bottle of Balveine double wood.
    With binoculars like that I could see Nessie in my rec room.
  • stike
    Options
    i haven't brewed in about ten years. you are right. the variety is so good, i no longer brew,
  • double L
    Options
    I like the 12year old Glenlivet
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Bowmore is Islay and smoky but nothing like Laphroig.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    I keep a fifth of Glenmorangie on hand for my single malt loving friend and have never heard a complaint.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Haggis
    Options
    Regrettably, there are some pretty bad single malts. One, for example, is Old Fettercairn - distilled in, I think, Kincardine just north of the Angus border. I say this fondly, sort of, since its the one closest to my family's homestead along the North Sea. I was dumbfounded when I learned that Old Fettercairn is one of the singles blended into Chivas.

I like your other selections. Sheep Dip is pretty good, all things considered! Balvenie, usually one of their newer trendy ones (e.g., Doublewood or Portwood) is one of my regulars, although I'm trending to lighter singles in my dotage.
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    My favorite is Glenmorangie. I can't find it in AZ, but
    next year I will bring a supply. I did try Sheep Dip once. Who can resist a name like that. It was drinkable....tom
  • Haggis
    Options
    I like Glenmorangie but, curiously, its about the only one that gives me a serious headache (not hangover) the next morning even if only having a wee dram. I gave it up after a while as simply not worth the pain.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    ribeye2015.jpg

mine too. smokey, kind of like egg smoked scots wiskey except i only have the 10 yr.christmas is coming
  • Haggis
    Options
    You can only drink what your supplier carries, unfortunately. And then, depending on which it is, you might be able to only drink the smallest dram. I always question those who say they prefer Laphroig and other heavily-peated Islays - it reminds me of a young stud bragging on his manhood. As I age I find that I like the Islays once in a while and only one a night but if I want something more pleasant I tend towards the lighter malts. Oban is one of my favorites but has gotten too pricey. The Macallan 12 is better than the 18, particularly since malts have become so popular - I used to be able to get the 18 at $35 in Maryland but now its closer to $60. Did you know that Costco has its own label that, in fact, is actually a Maccallan - if you can get it, grab it!

Everyone seems to be doing doublewoods and portwoods and the like, trying to out-do their competition - they are mellow but when I do a direct comparison I find I often like the old versions. I finished a Balvenie Doublewood last week and am halfway through an Aberlour and when I made the transition I found I rather preferred the lighter Speyside to the more rounded Balvenie.

In any case, no matter how much I like good Bourbon, there is no comparison to almost any good whisky!
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. they say bowmore is the least smokey, too... or maybe "not as smokey as some of the others"
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Here's a provocative little nectar I've come to enjoy.

DSC_0125-1.jpg
    DSC_0123-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I find Bowmore's a little too peaty and I really don't like the price

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Inksmyth
    Options
    Did you buy that in the USA?
    I have been told it is not available here.