Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket cooking question

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on cooking a brisket for dinner on Sunday - it should take about 15 hours. I'm not too keen on getting up at 2 AM and firing up the BGE on the deck in the cold (possibly with snow).

What if I got up around 2:30 or so and put the brisket in the regular house oven at 225. Then get up at 6 or 7 AM and fire up the BGE and finish it there. Has anyone ever tried this?

I'd rather not cook it a day ahead since I'd like to take it off the grill, let it sit, then serve it.

Any thoughts?

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    if it were me, it would go on earlier like 10 oclock and then after its done sit in the cooler for hours wrapped in foil until its dinner time. it can be in the cooler for an easy 4 hours, foil wrapped in towels in the cooler
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Why don't you just start it like at 11pm. If it takes 15 hours then it will be done at 2. Let it sit for 3 hours in foil wrapped in towels in an empty cooler and it's ready at 5 or so.

What time are you wanting it?

I would think you would lose out on decent bark and smoke taste if you started in the oven.

If you go to kickassbbq.com they have a tutorial on hot and fast cooks that will do a 13 lb brisket in 5 hours. I have tried it and it's not bad.

Remember, each brisket cooks different.
  • Shiff
    Thanks for the comments fishless and Buster. I'm fairly new to BGE cooking and haven't tried an unattended all night cooking session yet. I guess it's time to give it a try. I do have a Maverick remote thermometer which I can leave next to my bed and check it a few times during the night.

This is only my second brisket, so I don't have the confidence built up yet.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Your egg will maintain it's temp all night if the fire is built correctly in the first place.

Fill it up just past the level of the fire box. Light it in two or three places. put everything in the egg you want to cook with except the meat and let it stabilize.

Once it's stable put the meat in and walk away. Resist touching the vents.

Set the Maverick's alarms and go to sleep.
  • Shiff
    I've done that during the day and I guess it's time I did that for an all night cook.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I predict you will be up at least 2 times, even with the thermo!
  • Shiff
    Twice is about right even when I'm not cooking. At least I'll have something else to do while I'm up. :)
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • You and Leory can have a 3AM chat session on the forum!