Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Belly of pork - recipe?

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a nice belly of pork last night, second outing of recipe, a nice simple asian type rub - salt, sugar, peppercorns, cloves and so on. I couldn't help feeling it would have been even better on the egg.
(Yes - I know it's got to me, God I hope my wife never reads this...)
(I also have fond memories of my mother's simple belly of pork with rosemary - I used to particularly like cold leftovers for breakfast).
I couldn't find any recipes in the cookbook section - any suggestions?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This should easily adapt to the BGE-leave lid off in a Dutch oven.

Pork, Butt, Pork Belly, Vietnamese Braised Pork Belly, Thit Kho

The coconut water used in this recipe is the clear liquid from the heart of the immature coconut. Do not confuse it with the white coconut milk (canned and frozen) that is extracted from the grated flesh of the mature coconut. You may purchase coconut water frozen; it is usually sold in clear, square or rectangular plastic bags -- sometimes a few thin slices of coconut meat are included. Pork belly (where bacon comes from) is the desired and traditional cut for this dish because it has the perfect balance of lean meat to fat. However, you may substitute the leaner Boston butt.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 - 2 lbs pork belly or side pork, or Boston butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
    3 Tbs oil
    4 Tbs sugar
    3 Cloves garlic, slivered
    2 shallots, slivered
    2 Tbs peeled, slivered fresh ginger
    1/3-1/2 cup fish sauce
    12 oz fresh or frozen coconut water (see head note)
    4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered

Procedure:
    1 In a thick-walled 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, heat the oil and add the sugar, stirring until the sugar melts. Cook until the sugar turns a light brown and caramelizes. Add the garlic, shallots and ginger. They will sizzle. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
    2 Over high heat, add the pork belly and stir. Add the fish sauce and coconut water. The liquid should barely cover the pieces of pork. Add water if necessary. Bring to a boil, add the eggs, cover and cook on medium heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, or comes up about one third of the way on the pork.
    3 Serve warm.
    4 Marinate the pork overnight in garlic, shallots, sugar fish sauce. Place eggs in pot and at the end chop them up.

Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Vietworldkitchen.com, 2006/09/09
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    just sent you an email