Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic - Low and Slow

Big John
Big John Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put a picnic on for an overniter. This is the first picnic I have done on the egg. I have cooked numerous butts and boneless hams. Is there anything different I should do with a picnic?[p]Big John

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big John,
    No difference at all..if you were succesful cooking a butt it will/should be exactly the same...no worries.."Life is Good"[p]Wess

• WessB,
    Thanks. We are on the roll then. Dome at 248 and picnic at 102 degrees. With the outside temp at 22 degrees I really appreciate having the Maverick remote. Just sit back and watch the digital readout. [p]Big John

• Big John,
    What's the difference between a Boston butt and a picnic? Is the picnic being cooked for p.p.? If so, does it taste any different than Boston butt? Thanks in advance, Mac

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Mac in NC ,[p]Essentially, the picnic is what is left of the shoulder after the butt has been removed. I guess that is an odd way to put it, but you get the point.

• Could be wrong but I think the butt is from the shoulder. It has that blade type bone. I believe a picnic is from below the shoulder. Picnic hams sold around here (Michigan)are cured. I don't recall seeing fresh picnics for sale, although you might just have to ask for one. I have egged several cured picnic hams and they are fine eating, but they do not end up like pulled pork. After egging for seven hours or more a cured picnic starts to become dry. Just my experiences, I could be mistaken.

• shiek,
    This is a fresh picnic. The local grocery stores and meat markets carry them all the time.
    We're starting down the home stretch now. Dome at 254 and picnic at 183. It has been cooking for 14 hours and 45 minutes. Last nights overnite low was 18 degrees and the egg maintained the temperature all night. [p]Big John

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Mac in NC ,[p]Here is a diagram explaining the difference:
    [ul][li]Pork Diagram[/ul]
  • Big John, You are in for a good day. I posted some pics (20 hr. butt thread) of the pulled pork I had yesterday. Cabin fever is getting to me. What kind of rub or seasoning did you use on your picnic?

• shiek,
    Something must be wrong on my end. I can't see any of the pictures. I will check it out here.[p]On my picnic I rubbed in some Dizzy Dust (coarse grind) then covered it with yellow mustard then gave it another coating of regular grind Dizzy Dust. Cooked it for about 20 hours and it was "melt in your mouth" tender. Can't wait to do another one.
    Big John