Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Beef Tenderloin ?

Options
Davey Cockett
Davey Cockett Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Next Sunday, I plan on cooking a whole beef tenderloin for 10 people. I need suggestions on about everything -size to cook, cook temperature, cook time, method (direct or indirect), and marinade.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    sounds like something special.. not sure on size... but this methoud from beli sounds like a good way (you should have seen the picks)::::

Beef, Tenderloin, Cold Smoked, Salt Crusted, Beli

5 cups all-purpose flour
    3 cups kosher salt
    3 Tbs fresh ground black pepper
    5 egg whites
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, and/or sage)
    1 (6 to 7-pound) whole beef tenderloin, trimmed
    1 Tbs olive oil

1 Place the flour, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
    2 In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and water and add to the dry ingredients along with 2 tablespoons of the herbs.
    3 Combine with a potato masher until the mixture begins to come together.
    4 Then knead with your hands for 1 to 2 minutes.
    5 Transfer the mixture to a large zip-top bag, seal, and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours, or up to 24 hours
    6 Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll out to 3/16-inch thickness, approximately a 24 by 18-inch rectangle. Trim away extra dough, if necessary. Sprinkle the remaining herbs on the center section of the dough and gently press down.
    7 Preheat Egg to 400 degrees F.
    8 In order to achieve uniform cooking, fold over slender tail end of tenderloin and tie with kitchen twine. Set a large electric griddle at its highest setting; brush the tenderloin with the olive oil and sear on all sides until well browned, approximately 10 minutes. Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes or until it is cool to the touch so as not to melt the dough.
    9 Place the tenderloin in the center of the dough. Fold top part of dough over, flipping back about 1-inch of dough onto itself. Repeat with the bottom half of the dough. Press together the 2 flaps of dough and seal. Make sure the dough is not too tight around the tenderloin. At the ends of the tenderloin, press together dough to form a seal and cut away any excess. Transfer to a sheet pan, place in the oven and roast to an internal temperature of 125 degrees F, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. The tenderloin will continue to cook 10 to 15 degrees more. Cut salt crust at 1 end and extract meat by pulling out of dough tube. Slice and serve immediately

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Beli

Source: BGE Forum on 2008/08/24

here are the steps to making this in order

you make the dough

rest the dough

setup egg for cold smoking

sear loin

rest loin

light egg for cold smoking

cold smoke meat

add lump and setup for bread at 400 degrees

roll tenderloin in dough

place on stone

roast until 125 internall

slice enjoy

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I've made Peppered Beef Tenderloin with Portobello Marsala Sauce twice and the family loved it both times. I followed the Southern Living recipe and just changed:

-Broiling to searing it on the Egg at 600f a few minutes per side until I had a nice sear.

-Obviously, used the Egg to roast it instead of the oven at 375f. I added some Jack Daniels oak chips during this portion.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have done them simplistic with fantastic results. I have cut them into fillets about 1.5 inches thick, salt and pepper and cooked to doneness. I have also marinated them in soy and garlic prior to cooking with also great results. The tenderloin is very tender but a little lacking in beef flavor which is normal since it is a muscle that isn't really used. Either way they were fantastic and a hit with all the guests. I would sear them at a pretty high temp (600). They are one of the few cuts of meat that are actually better a little more rare then you normally like your steaks (my opinion). Just don't burn them and everyone will rave!
  • JalopyBob
    Options
    For a whole tenderloin, I like to use Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade with some beef broth mixed in. The egg thermometer at 320-330 range until done to almost medium. This will give some of the smaller end pieces no pink color for the few that prefer it that way. I egg direct, turning along the way. Serve sliced about 1" thick.